We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Lisbon Stopovers and lunch

5 posts
Save Topic
Boston to Lisbon Stopovers and lunch

Hi,

I'm planning on going from Boston to Lisbon, NH and thinking about places to stop on the way. Can anyone suggest nice places to see and places to get lunch?

At the moment I'm thinking Meredith and possibly Manchester.

Many thanks,

John

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Lisbon Stopovers and lunch

Meredith is nice, but it's a bit of a detour.

The restored mills in Manchester are very handsome and house at least one good restaurant, Cotton. I've had dinner there a couple of times and enjoyed it.

You might check out the locations of the Common Man restaurant family (www.thecman.com). There are several that are quite close to your route and would give you some off-the-highway scenery. I love the Tilt'n Diner, though it doesn't offer much in the way of scenery.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Lisbon Stopovers and lunch

Boston to Lisbon is about a three hiur drive. Are you stopping because you feel you would need a break, because you kight not, or just for the fun of it?

There a bunch of good restaurants and cafes in the Manchester Mills, and even more two blocks up on Elm St., the main street through Manch. In the mills, there is a sports bar at the end near Granite Street. I forgwt the name. There is also Millie's, a brew pub, and Fratello's, an excellent Italian restaurant. On Elm St there is more than I can list, and just about anything you could want. Republic is a gfeat cafe. Shaskeen is an Irish Pub. Hanover St off Elm has a bunch of good eateries. There is the classic diner Red Arrow on Lowell St and Consuelo's Taqueria onAmherst St, both in the block just off Elm.

But, if your timing works out, and they are open, and stopping is not essential, I would save it for Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill, which you will pass on your way across the mountain to Lisbon. Polly's is on rte 137, which passes from the town of Franconia to Lisbon. The pancakes are excellent, 4 or 5 batters and an equal number of add in choices. The syrup is real maple. The meats are excellent quality. And the view from therestaurant is a panoramic view ofnthe White Mtns, inckuding the Presidentials. Check their website for times. They close in winter.

Meredith is, as noted, off the path. But if you wanted to go ther and see the big lake, it is not unreasonably off the path, maybe 10 to 15 minutes max. Exit 23 from I-93.

Outlet shopping in Tilton, Exit 20, if that interests you.

Excellent art museum in Manchester, The Currier. Exit 6 from 293. Head across the bridge and follow the signs. It is north of downton where the restaurants I suggested, are, but not very far.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Lisbon Stopovers and lunch

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Reasons for stopping are for fun but also because I don't like driving three hours straight. Polly's is on my places to go when I'm staying in Lisbon.

Sounds like we have lots of options for lunch. Thanks!

4. Re: Boston to Lisbon Stopovers and lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 06, 2015