We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

Yes, this is a cross-post.

We are looking for a Maple Sugaring place to visit this coming weekend (March 22/23) within about 2.5 hours of Boston for a day trip. We have two preschool aged kids, so I'm looking for somewhere that has a fair amount of "activities" and a fun atmosphere for the girls. I sort of need to get the most "bang" for our ride up there. I'd be happy to just leave with some amazing maple products, but with kids, I need there to be free stuff or face painting or carriage rides or balloons, etc.

I've gone on the Maine and New Hampshire maple sugaring maps, but it's hard to tell from there which ones would be the right fit for our family.

Any thoughts?

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

I am not sure what activities they will offer, but look at Parker's Maple Barn in Greenville, NH. I would bet they are doing soemthing big for the Maple Weekend. They have a great restaurant, shops, sugar house, etc, and are very family oriented. Plan on breakfast, regardelss ofmtime of day.

Youmight also check the NH tourism site, visitnh.gov, for other suggestions.

There are tons of little sugar shacks across the state. Many of them will be open to the public. They may not have all the big activities, but they will be small and you can see what sugarung is like on a small hands on level.

NH
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

Definitely do your research ahead of time. Saps runnin' slower than average for this time of year. I would guess that there will be some sugar houses not up and running at their normal production rate, yet.

I would look online to be sure of which houses are open and if they will be supplementing the focus of their normal activities with other "entertainment."

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

I'd like to endorse NextStopIs' suggestion of visiting the smaller sugar houses. While there may not be entertainment, your little ones will probably get lots of attention and a chance to see things up close(r). I love maple sugaring and have made quite a few visits to sugar houses over the years (but not in NH--maybe that should change!). However, my favorite remains a visit as a child to a small place in Vermont. Some nostalgia may be biasing my views, but I do think I got to see more there than elsewhere. Hope you'll have a fun weekend wherever you land!

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

Stonewall Farm just West of Keene

15th Annual Horse-Drawn Sap Gathering Contest!

Saturday March 22nd, 9 am-3 pm

$5 Entry Fee for Adults; Children Under 6 Are Free

A dozen or more teamsters and their horses race on our course to collect "sap" as quickly as possible. Visit our working sugar house to see how syrup is made. There will be food for sale, maple syrup sundaes, and hayrides!

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

I wanted to add to my above post about the sap gathering contest in Keene. Keene is in the Monadnock Region. Other stops within the Monadnock Region that might be worth considering are...

Ben's Maple Sugar House in Temple: he has an impressive operation and amongst everything else is doing hayrides

Fieldstone Farm in Rindge: You can visit with Abe the buffalo

6. Re: New Hampshire Maple weekend (or Maine)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 20, 2015