We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 fall foliage trip, completely overwhelmed

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2014 fall foliage trip, completely overwhelmed

I am posting this in Vermont and Maine as well.

Hi, my husband and I are driving from California to Chicago to see our daughter end of Sept 2014. From there we plan to stop at Niagara Falls and then on to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and work our way back home. We have never been in this area before.

We will be in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine first and part of the second week of October. Our main goal is seeing the foliage and small quaint towns. We are not into great adventures, but love nature, wildlife and would be delighted to see a moose!

Trying to put this together has become overwhelming and I know I am running out of time for reservations. I have done lots of research and have read about Rt 100 through Vermont (not sure if we should drive the whole length) and the Kancamagus Hwy in NH. I have a very long list of wonderful towns, villages, etc. to visit but impossible to see them all in that time frame. Not sure if I need to go up as far as Burlington.

If anyone has a suggestion as to a route from Niagara Falls that we can take that goes through a good sampling of these wonderful states I would very much appreciate it. I have been trying to work on a route to keep us moving forward with short daytime drives to take in the scenery and stop at the towns along the way, but can't seem to streamline it to fit in timeframe. Would like to end at Acadia National Park in Maine then down the coast to pick up Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.

Thank you in advance, I know I am asking a lot.

Linda

Edited: 3:33 pm, March 05, 2014
Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
390 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2014 fall foliage trip, completely overwhelmed

My only comment would be to watch you driving times. 5 hours from Jackson to Bar Harbor can easily turn into 8 hours with Fall Foliage traffic on the small west to east roads.

Simcoe
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 2014 fall foliage trip, completely overwhelmed

Suggest Niagara Falls to Plattsburgh Ny via Lake Placid and the Adirondack Park ,then take the Ferry ( 8 minute crossing at Plattsburgh to the Islands of Lake Champlin north of Burlington,or south of Plattsburgh for a crossing into Burlington Vt about an hour to cross) across Lake Champlain to Vermont. From there head to Stowe and Smugglers Notch. Great views of Mt Mansfield here. It's a great drive up the Notch ( Mount Mansfield) and it leads into Stowe. Niagara Falls to Plattsburgh about 300 miles. Plattsburgh to Stowe over the Notch another 60 miles. From there I would suggest heading to Lincoln Nh and Kancamangus highway. Roughly 2-1/2 hours Stowe to Lincoln. The views are spectacular. The colors should be peak the 1st week of October. Can,t address the Maine portion of your tour as I am not so familiar with the area. Have a great trip..

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: 2014 fall foliage trip, completely overwhelmed

Thank you Ron for your suggestions. I have since changed thing all around. Will not be going to Maine this trip.

14. Re: 2014 fall foliage trip, completely overwhelmed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 19, 2015