We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best trails in NH to see foliage

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best trails in NH to see foliage

Hello everyone,

My friend and I would like to see the foliage in New Hampshire this coming Saturday, October 19th and we live in Boston and were hoping to drive for less than 2 hours (if possible) as we are not planning staying overnight.

I was wondering what would be the best trail/hike that we could try? The lengths of the trail is not important.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

Foliage is now past peak. You should at least plan to look south of the mountains.

Look at Mt Monadnock. Further south, less drive, more color.

http://monadnocktrails.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

Very interesting, never heard of this one. Thank you!

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
557 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

Mt Monadnock is the most climbed mountain in the Western Hemisphere and although we have some color...I think we might be past peak as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

You're from Boston and never hear of Mt Monadnock?

Mt Wachusett might still have a lot of color. I'd still go to the Whites though if you want a nice hike, foliage or not it's just better scenery.

Tuckerman's or anything that gets you up to Franconia Ridge is really nice on a clear day.

I know you said you don't care about trail length but as someone who used to be on a rescue crew I'd suggest you really should care about it unless you are equipt to spend the night outside.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
435 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

North Conway is better today than any other day this year! The big Maples and Oaks are still at Peak! Come on up you will love it!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

Hiked Willard last week. The trail itself is through the woods but the views from the top of crawford notch are as wonderful as advertised.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

agree with neslaw1 - Willard is great view for a short hike. Here's top 5 hikes in the Whites for fall foliage: …blogspot.com/2013/10/5-best-fall-foliage-hi…

also agree with Kevin_from_America - Monadnock is great but often crowded. It's the 2nd most climbed mountain in the world (apparently): …blogspot.com/2013/08/hiking-2nd-most-climbe…

Also if you want southern NH where it's just reached peak, try Lake Winnepesaukee and Mt. Major: …blogspot.com/2013/09/mt-major-is-major-trea…

8. Re: Best trails in NH to see foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 21, 2014