We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in New england area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in New england area

We live in NYC and are planning a 4 day car excursion to the New England Area. We are foodies so we would like to be near some good areas to eat but we also would like to see some fall foliage as well as some quaint towns with some shopping. We are 2 couples not adverse to walking around. Where is the best place to stay and maximize what we are trying to see. Looking for lodging recommendation's as well as places to see and eat.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in New england area

What time of year?

There is lots of good food almost everywhere. All kinds of niche restaurants in cities and small towns alike.

Lodging, too, there are B&Bs and inns all over the state that will have that great New England feel I think yo are looking for.

COming from NYC, you could really go anywhere in the state or in all of New England, for that matter. I'd focus on one or two areas that are near each other. If you are coming to NH, I might recommend the Keene/Peterboroough/Monadnock Region, with a possible day trip or overnight, splitting your time, to the Hanover/Lebanon area with dartmouth College. Both of these areas will ahve so much of what you are looking for - beautiful, Currier an Ives towns, great food and lodging, some excellent arts attractions, performance and night life. I could get more specific. The White Mountains are often a big destination for folks. But you will get to keene in about 4 hours from NYC (depending on where you are starting from and when you leave town. I'm an old N Yer. I know). The Whites are another 2 hours further north.

Check the NH Tourism website for great info ont he regions of the state, attractions, events, lodging, etc., organizable by region. www.visitnh.gov

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in New england area

Nextstops -- In addition to "food", they say they're also looking for fall foliage opportunities.... First place that comes to my mind that meets both criteria might be Jackson, NH area... Thompson House Eatery is great... and Jackson's just a short drive from numerous eating places in North Conway, but offers a much less commercial, much quieter, much more walkable atmosphere. On the other hand, if the question pertains to foliage-season travel this Fall, their options may be limited by where they can find lodging vacancies. Lots of the more popular places may be sold out already... But if you can find a suitable place in Jackson, it would be a great base for foliage-viewing day-trips...

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in New england area

Mainer,

Funny, I missed the "Foliage" comment, but noticed that they posted the same query with the more specific FOliage interest in the title. Noticed that after I posted my reply here. Yes, Jackson would be excellent.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in New england area

Jackson NH of course!

5. Re: 4 days in New england area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 17, 2014