We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

Hello

I need help planning a 2 week trip starting and ending in Boston. We plan on spending a couple of days in the city and then travelling around.

I was hoping for advice on what places not to miss in New England - we are going in October so hoping for a bit of foliage, we don't mind driving and staying in lots of different places. We are in our late 30's, do a bit of walking/cycling but nothing too extreme, like mountains, lakes, coast, towns for mooching around shops and galleries, good food etc etc...There seems to be so many different options - what are the 'must do' places??? Help.....

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

You can't do all the must-do places, so banish that phrase from your vocabulary.

Here are some places to consider:

Essex County (includes Cape Ann), Massachusetts

Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Lake Winnpesaukee, New Hampshire

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire (don't miss the League of NH Craftsmen gallery, Sandwich Home Industries)

Franconia Notch, New Hampshire

Kancamagus Highway, New Hampshire

Walpole, New Hampshire

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, Maine

Blue Hill, Maine

Portland, Maine

There are many more great places.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

Here's more to think about:

White Mountains Auto Road, NH - the road is really curvy and tight. So, if you don't want to drive, there are stage vans (I think that's what they are called) that will take you to the top of the mountain and back. The temperature at the top can be quite cold, so you'll need warm clothing for the time that you're up there. Well worth the trip up though.

Jackson, NH - very pretty in the fall.

Woodstock, Vermont - very nice, shops to browse in

Rte 100, VT - nice drive for foliage viewing, can get very busy though during peak foliage

Cadillac Mt., Acadia National Park, Maine - Beautiful drive called the Park Loop Rd. Don't miss!

New England in the fall is beautiful wherever you go. ENJOY.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

also try to google festivals in the different states for the month of October. Its a great time to be in New England and might be able to find harvest or chowder or fall beer festival.

NH
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

...Maybe at least part of one day at a country fair?The Topsfield Fair in Topsfield MA begins around Oct 4. I think it lasts for about 2 weeks.

The best advice has been said in wpsaukee's first sentence. There is so much beautiful scenery here you will O.D.!

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
565 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

When in October are you hoping to come. Earlier October has more foliage up North and mid - late October will have more Foliage farther South.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

Thanks for all suggestions so far. Our dates are 6-19 oct or 11-26 oct - booking in the next couple of days - anything in either date I should bear in mind?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

Autumn foliage north of Boston will be better during the earlier dates.

Edited: 11:00 am, August 11, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

The "Must-Do" itineraries in New England normally involves the following -

Boston,Cape Cod in Massachusetts - SeaCoast,Lakes & White Moutains in New Hampshire - Coastal Maine,Portland & Acadia National Park in Maine and if time permits venture into Vermont Country side.

The Normal loop starts like this -

Boston - Portsmouth,NH - Southern Maine Beaches(York, Ogunquit or Kennebunkport) - Portland - Mid-Coast Maine(Rockland/Camden) - Acadia National Park & Bar Harbor - White Mountains(Conway,Kancamagus Hwy,Lincoln) - Lakes Region (Meredith,Wolfeboro,Weirs Beach etc) - Cape Cod - Boston

Of-course, there are tons of other places of interest in this region, but visiting all depends on time & interests. There are some great suggestions in the previous posts and as previous posters mentioned, you cannot do all at once!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Our route now looks like this:

Boston - 3 nights

Kennebunkport - 1 night

Bar Harbor - 1 night

Portland - 1 night

Squam Lake - 1 night

White Mountains - 2 nights

Stowe - 1 night

Woodstock - 1 night

Stocksbridge - 2 nights

Mystic - 1 night

Newport - 1 night

Does that seem reasonable? We're trying to keep the distances between each evening stop quite short so that we have time to walk, kayak, sightsee at each place.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in New England - guidance needed...

It seems pretty reasonable to me. The thing that strikes me, as a New Hampshire Lakes Region chauvinist, is only one night on Squam Lake. Of course, people whose special places are other entries on your list would probably have a similar reaction to the short stops in those places, too.

Nevertheless, I'll offer my own comments. First, you specifically mention kayaking, and Squam is really the obvious place for that on your list. (You could do it in Bar Harbor and maybe a couple of other places, but it would be more work.) Second, you really don't need two separate lodgings to do the Lakes Region and the White Mountains. If you can stay three nights on Squam, and take day trips to the mountains, that would be my suggestion.

Similarly, I think you could eliminate some stops and save yourselves some packing and unpacking--which gets really old after a while--without sacrificing a lot. The distances really aren't great; for example, you could make a nice day of a ride from Boston to Bar Harbor. Do you really need to spend a night in Kennebunkport? Like Squam, Bar Harbor is going to make you wish you had more time there. Consider eliminating either Stowe or Woodstock--you can certainly visit both without spending the night in both.

I love Boston and rarely suggest cutting back on time there, but you really seem to want to see the countryside, and you're stretching yourselves fairly thin to do that. Maybe you should eliminate a night in Boston.

Overall, I do think you have a pretty good plan--just more stopping and starting than you really need to do. Hope you have a great time.