We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Hello,

We are taking a 2 week family road trip down the East coast. I'm looking for things/places to show my kids (8, 5, 1) that are unique to New Hampshire. Something that we probably wouldn't see where we live in Michigan or Florida where we travel to often. We like beaches & adventures. With a 1 year old, we are kind of limited on hiking. Actually, I'm pretty open to any ideas, besides amusement parks.

Thanks so much for telling me about your state!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Will this leg of your trip be before or after your stop in Cape Cod for whale watching and travelling the Maine coast to Bar Harbor and Acadia? How long are you allowing for New Hampshire? Are you camping, motels, etc?

www.visitwhitemountains.com/things-to-do/

http://www.stonehengeusa.com/

Edited: 11:27 am, March 26, 2013
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
129 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Portsmouth, NH is unique - far from anything in Florida or Michigan. Typical New England fishing village, grown up. Great place to walk around, look at the boats, eat and there's a submarine museum (USS Albacore) that may be interesting for the older children. If you did decide to take in a water park, one of the best in all of New England is Water Country, which is in Portsmouth also. Further down the coast in MA is Salem. Very interesting, historic and could be fun for the kids. This is where the 'Salem Witch Trials' back in the 1600's took place. There are reenactments, etc that can be fun to see for all.

Edited: 12:26 pm, March 26, 2013
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

A few on my favorite places in NH are:

The White Mtns

- visit Cathedral Ledge in N. Conway. You can drive to the top in 5mins, donation accepted at a box at he bottom. You get a Mtn top experience atop a 500+/- ledge overlooking town. We've been here 100 (well, maybe 50) times in my life, basically stop here every single time we visit the mtns. Great for picnics, last summer we picked up coffee and danish at a DD and ate it there at 7am. Had the place to ourselves - just us and the hummingbirds.

- Diana's Bath. Nice swimming hole(s) amongst the cascades. Appx 1m in, path is mostly suitable for a stoller. Water is cold, but hey, it's the mtns. The trailhead is about a mile from Cathdral Ledge.

----> BTW, don't limit yourselves to no hiking! Bring along one of those backpack baby carriers.

- Franconia Notch, The Flume and The Basin.

Visit the Flume (google it), absolutely beautiful. Once you are at the top, take the nice walk over to the

Pool "(I think that's what it's called), there is a nice covered bridge to walk across and provides a loop back to the carpark.

Just up the road is The Basin. Free and well worth the visit to stretch you legs and let the kids play in the stream.

Now driving north thru the Franconia Notch you are on Rt 93. Rt 93, Rt 302 and Rt 112 (aka The Kancamaugas) form a great loop to drive.

Great swimming along the Kanc at Lower Falls. Usuallly packed by noon on a hot weekend.

BTW - you don't mention when you are coming.

Finally, Castle in the Clouds. This is in Moultanboro, so you can tie it in with a visit to Lake Winneppeaksaukee (sp?). I guess there are mansions built by rich eccentrics everywhere, but this one is in NH and on a mountaintop. We love this place!

Anyway, that's my favorites in NH. Make sure you visit Gettysburg, if you haven't already. No place quite like it!

Regards,

Kevin

Darn, almost forgot, take the Auto Road or the Cog RR to the top of Mt Washington. Bring jackets!!!

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

We will start in Bar Harbor, Maine. We will do cape cod whale watching, probably after??? I have no real set in stone schedule. We will stay in hotels, but I don't think I will pre-book anything so that we can stay somewhere longer if we want to. I'm looking for places to have a focus of where we are driving to next. We will be coming the beginning of July. Thank you again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
836 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

OK, when you say East Coast, are you literally talking about East coast including NYC, DC, Boston etc or just New England? Where do you plan to start this trip? Bar Harbor is at the top of the map, unless you are flying into Bangor, it does not make sense to start from there.

Usually, New England trip start in Boston and go up north to Maine and loop back to White mountains in New Hampshire or vice-versa.

conn
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Clarks Trading Post, Lincoln,NH. True Americana, trained bear show and old fashion fun for all ages.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Well, I'll have to look at the loop. I was thinking coming across Niagara Falls, NY & heading for Maine. I'd like to do Acadia in Maine, but that's as far north as I want to go. We'd then head down the coast to Maryland, if we can even make it that far with a 1 year old. Stopping when & where we want. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated because I am unfamiliar with the east coast.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

We've visited NYC & DC before, so we are skipping those this vacation. We will go to Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
836 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Assuming you are heading to New England from Niagara Falls, my suggestion would be this -

Niagara Falls - Lincoln,NH - White Mountains - Conway,NH - Bar Harbor,ME - Acadia National Park - Camden,ME - Rockland,ME - Portland, ME - Southern Maine Beaches(Kennebunkport, Ogunquit & York) - Boston,MA

Depending on your interest, you can decide the number of days to stay in each place.

Also, If you want to be adventurous, you can pick a route from Niagara Falls to white Mountains through Green Mountains of Vermont.

Just a note of caution, Unlike Florida, you will not find towering hotel rooms or major chain hotels in all the towns in New England. Also, summer is a busy season & rooms get filled in advance especially during weekends & holidays.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: East Coast Road Trip - Please Help

Thank you for that route. I did have Niagara & then Lincoln! I'll look into the other places too. Much thanks