We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan to New Hampshire

Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Michigan to New Hampshire

Hello, I am interested in advice on driving the most scenic route from Southern Michigan to Northern NH and then taking a drive along "some part" of the coast with a different scenic routeback to southern Michigan. This will be our first trip east and we were hoping to pick up some tips as to the best areas to see to get a feel for this region. We are hoping to see as much wildlife as possible (especially moose). If weather permits a whale watching trip would be an added bonus, but not a "must do" on this trip. We are primarily interested in hiking, woods, mountains, nature, wildlife and avoiding crowds lol. Looking at early Sept after labor day crowds leave and before color tours begin, but we are open to any suggestions..Thank you so much!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan to New Hampshire

That's a pretty broad question. The good news is that crowds shouldn't be much of an issue in September, and most of the region is lovely and offers a lot of opportunities that line up with your stated interests. No matter what routes you choose, though I can't guarantee you'll see a moose, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll enjoy the sights.

Are you planning to venture as far east as Maine? New England has a long coastline, and most of it is very nice; about half of it is in Maine. If you're willing to go that far, Acadia National Park is generally considered the crown jewel. New Hampshire's coast is very short, but quite scenic; just to the south, the Massachusetts North Shore is wonderful. And to the south of Boston are many coastal treasures, including but not limited to Cape Cod.

Anyway, I'll just toss out a few specific NH places that occur to me:

Pittsburg, Errol, and Dixville Notch for moose.

Any/all of the notches in the White Mountains (Franconia, Crawford, Pinkham).

Kancamagus Highway.

Lake Winnipesaukee and the Lakes Region.

Monadnock Region; in particular, Walpole, for a picture-perfect village and world-class chocolate (at L.A. Burdick).

I also love Portsmouth and New Castle, but you seem more interested in rural adventures. Just be advised that Portsmouth is a really charming small city.

You can get a lot of information by searching in this forum and others for things like "scenic dives," "White Mountains hikes," and so forth.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan to New Hampshire

there is a road trip forum which might have more info on a route. It would help to know how much time you are giving yourself? budget? are you planning on moving every night?

not likely to see moose just wandering about but there are moose tours that are pretty successful in Northern NH and ME.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,349 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michigan to New Hampshire

My family made the drive every summer for decades going from our home in Ann Arbor to our summer residence in the MT Washington Valley. I can assure you that the scenery is at the destinations in New England and not so much along the way.

Make the drive with an over night stop. Use the Interstate highways and get there so that you can then focus on enjoying the scenery in New Hampshire and the Maine Coast.

Once you've decided to do that, let us know how much time you'll have available, other than the four days of time to and from, and what you THINK you want to see and do. Then we can help you to plan a road trip in New England. And you'll need to do it while researching and booking your accommodations along the way. September is a busy month, even leading up to the color season.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
119 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michigan to New Hampshire

We moved from NJ to MI and from MI to MA a few years later, and did the drive back and forth several times. Red Rox is spot on - the drive itself is not scenic. It's flat and featureless, generally speaking. My advice would be to find the shortest route without regard for scenery.

Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Michigan to New Hampshire

Thanks everyone...I appreciate the input!

6. Re: Michigan to New Hampshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 16, 2014