We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Firstly, I wish to thank all of those contributors who gave some very good advice. Particularly regarding pre booking all our accommodation before leaving home.

I listed the twenty five most popular foliage locations in the new England area, and saw twenty three of them, which meant we were criss crossing VT, NH, MA, CT and RI.

Some of the highlights were Conway and the drive up to Silver Cascade. The drive from Conway up through the Kancamagus Highway, was every bit what I expected, with spectacular foliage. We were initially going to take Highway 3 south, but while staying the night at Lincoln, we were advised to take Highway 10, starting off at Bath to Lebanon. At this stage I was becoming hooked on photographing covered bridges and those on this particular drive were some of the best we had seen.

Once again thanks to those who helped make this holiday something really special.

Cheers

Geoff

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Sounds like you had a great trip -- thanks for taking the time to post your Trip Report because it could well help someone with planning for their trip next Fall.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,142 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Sounds like you covred a LOT of territory. I'd love to know a few more details if you have the time to share with us. Thanks for posting

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

thanks Geoff,

We are planning a trip for early October 2013. If you have any tips, and have time to post, I would love to hear them!

Trip reports are really helpful to all those planning, and a nice way to return the kindness of all the people who answer questions.

Thanks!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Angie

Ask away. We spent the majority of our trip in Vermont. I can thoroughly recommend VT and NH for foliage. MA was good out in the western part. I can give you details of some very good B and B's and hotels.

Cheers

Geoff

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Happy to answer any questions.

Thoroughly enjoyed your city of Boston, as well as the Berkshires and Shelburne Falls.

The New England wasn't all we travelled around. After Connecticut, we drove down to Gettysburg PA, which was very sobering, then onto Lancaster County for the Amish. From memory we travelled around 3,500 miles in three weeks.

Cheers

Geoff

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

I'm planning a trip late Sept. 2013 to see the fall colors. I definitely want some time in Maine and New Hampshire. I have 7 days to drive and explore but need

some help deciding what is a "must see" and what I can by-pass since I'm short on time. Any advice on a route, sights or places to stay would be greatly appreciated:)

Edited: 6:28 pm, December 28, 2012
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Pringles --

Welcome to the Trip Advisor forums....

I'd strongly recommend you post your question about foliage travel in the Fall of 2013 in its own Forum Posting rather than leave it buried here at the bottom of someone else's posts. Many of the Maine and New Hampshire Destination Experts who can help you plan your trip either a) have already read this post before your question was added and likely won't see it again, or b) looked at the title line and decided that a trip report about a past trip might not need their attention.

If you're unsure how to create your own posts, go to the top of this page and click on the link to "United States Forums" -- it will open a list of States. Scroll down to Maine or New Hampshire and click on it. That will open a list of current questions for those states. Then look for the "Ask a Question" box, click on it, and ask your question. That will get it to where the most folks familiar with Maine or New Hampshire will see it. You might even consider posting your question in both the Maine and New Hampshire forums, although may of us who check one of them also check the other one.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Pringles, Mainer's advice above is good. However, before asking such a broad question, I urge you to browse this forum (and those for other New England States), and especially, use the search function. For example, in the Search box above, enter "foliage route," and you'll get links to a huge number of threads in which this topic has been discussed.

After you've done some of this research, by all means start your own thread(s) and ask more specific questions.

Good luck.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Hi Geoff,

Sorry for the delay in responding! We also visited Lancaster County in October, and it was amazing. Hope you had a great visit there too.

Thanks to the advice of the wonderful people on this forum, I have a fall foliage trip partly mapped out. We are driving from Boston to Kennebunkport for two nights, then up to the White Mountains for a night in Jackson NH, then down through the lakes district to Woodstock VT for two nights and back to Boston via Concord. We have already booked our accomodation.

I would love to hear about what you really loved seeing during your trip, or little towns that are worth visiting. We will be using a GPS, but I want to invest in some good paper maps. Were there any you would recommend? I have bought guide books and received some great maps from tourist sites, but am wondering if I will need something more detailed when visiting bigger places like Portland?

Best wishes to all for the new year!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Review of recent Fall of the Foliage Trip

Hi Angie

We also thoroughly enjoyed Lancaster County and the Amish. We also went to Gettysburg and thought how well the history of the place has been preserved.

Insofar as the 'Fall of the Foliage' trip was concerned I simply referred to the Internet and ascertained the top 25 foliage locations within the New England area. I ended up narrowing it down to 22 out of 25 locations, so I was pleased with that.

Unfortunately we didn't venture too far into Maine, staying only one night in Bethel, at the Chapman Inn, the only 'Certified Haunted' Inn in ME. Another couple of Aussies had the pleasure of seeing a young girl walk around the bottom of their bed during the night. The bloke who owns the place was surprised that she was in that particular room. One maid won't go into a particular room unless accompanied by someone.

When we were at North Conway, which is near Jackson, we called into the Ranger Station where we were given maps and advised to take the drive up to Crawford Notch. On the way up we stopped at Cathedral Ledge, not far out of town. We turned around and came back towards North Comway, to the town of Attitash, where we drove over to the Kancamagus Highway to Lincoln. This drive in particular is not to be missed if it's colour you are looking for. Try and have a look at Beaver lake north west out of Lincoln.

We intended driving down Highway 3 the following day to Ashland, then into Sandwich, however, we spoke to someone from the Tourist Information Centre, who strongly advised us to travel north west to Bath. Beautiful small town, with the oldest operating general store in America, and I think the best covered bridge we saw on our journey. From bath we drove down Highway 10 to White River Junction. So many nice towns, so much to see. From this point we crossed back into Vermont, which I must admit, was my favourite State.

One of the best drives for beautiful towns, picturesque scenery and colour, was the drive south along Highway 100 through Ludlow, Chester, Grafton Townshend to Brattleboro.

We did a fair chunk of Massachusetts, starting off in the Berkshires, east to Boston, south to Cape Cod, then west into Connecticut.

We spend a day on a half in Boston and could have spent much more. It would probably rate as one of the nicest cities that I have seen in the USA. Small, with plenty of history. Get the hop on hop off bus. You don't have to stay in the heart of Boston, where it can get pretty expensive. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Brookline. It's close to the subway and there is a free car park. It can be a bit tricky getting into the hotel.

I bought a used GPS off eBay well before I left home for eighty dollars. I still have it, as we are returning to the USA for a trip next year from Los Angeles to Chicago, via Utah and Colorado, then returning via Route 66. Even if I sell it for half price it will have served me well over two trips. If you don't wont to go to the trouble of buying a GPS, go to Walmart and buy a McNally Rand road atlas for around ten dollars. Just get the A3 sized one, as it's easier to read.

The best bit of advice I got before leaving was to pre book accommodation. There was no real problems, as we drove only around 100 to 140 miles per day, but it would have been annoying having to spend time checking hotels when arriving in town for the night.

Maine is a pretty big State, but the drives around Vermont, New Hampshire and to a degree Massachusetts, are pretty easy to get around for people like us who are used to driving long distances.

I don't know if you already have one, but if you want a great credit card, get hold of a 28 degrees Mastercard. We have had one for years and it's the only travel card to take. No fees, no currency exchange fees when purchasing overseas. Whatever you buy is converted into the exact AU amount. You can load it up with cash and as long as you use a Mastercard or Cirrus ATM there is no fee. We even use it to pre book hotels from home before we travel overseas.

Hope that answers some questions.

Cheers

Geoff