We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains or T from Portsmouth to Boston?

Columbus, OH
8 posts
Save Topic
Trains or T from Portsmouth to Boston?

Hi - heading to Portsmouth & Boston this weekend and we're flying into and staying in Portsmouth. We're trying to decide whether or not to rent a car and the only reason we would rent one would be to drive to Boston. But the last time I was there I found traffic to be crazy and parking to be tough to find and really expensive once we found it. I'd prefer to just take a train in and I thought someone told me I could but I can't find any T lines that go as far as Portsmouth. anyone know an easy/cost-effective way and safe way for 4 ladies to get from Portsmouth to Boston for the day? Thanks!

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains or T from Portsmouth to Boston?

You can take a train to Boston, but the trains leave from Dover, Durham, & Exeter. You can either take a taxi to one of those locations, or there is a bus system called COAST. http://www.coastbus.org/#Coast%20Bus

There is also a BUS that goes from Portsmouth to Boston:

Bus

C & J Trailways. Serves Logan airport and Boston's South Station. Portsmouth terminal is at Pease International Tradeport -- adjacent to Route 33 and near Interstate 95, Exit 3A (about 3 miles from downtown Portsmouth).

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
745 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains or T from Portsmouth to Boston?

Hi Diva,

Just left you a reply on your post asking this question for Boston. I'd also asked the same question about getting to Boston back in Oct. although we are renting a car. You might want to find my post on the Boston forum as there were some good responses. The best one came from NoMo001 and I'll cut and paste it here in case you can't find it.:

You could actually do a few different things via the MBTA commuter rail or AMTRAK.

You could take the downeaster (AMTRAK) from any of these 3 towns that are near the city of Portsmouth. Go to either Dover, Exeter or Durham (UNH) all are only a few miles from Portsmouth and you can take the downeaster train right in to North Station for various day trips. You won't want to deal with the parking lots in downtown Boston, especially during the week with the commuters, it can be a little ridiculous and it's outrageous to park. If I were you, I'd definitely think about taking the train down from Portsmouth. Like I said, the AMTRAK train goes to Boston, but it also goes to Portland, ME. as well. Again, you can take it from any of the three towns I mentioned and the fare will only be $12 per person and 1/2 price for kids 2 -15 years old.

If you wanted to, you could also take the commuter rail (MBTA) in to Boston instead. You could do that by just driving down from Portsmouth, NH to Newburyport, MA., which is the last or first stop on this connection in to Boston! It's also only about a 1/2 hour drive south to pick up this train located right at 25 Boston Way in Newburyport, MA. Their parking rate is only a few dollars a day to park and there's room for over 800 cars. It definitely fills up early in the morning with the commuters, so make sure you leave early for their parking lot. We find there's always room though regardless what time you get there! It's along Rte 1 driving straight down from Portsmouth, just stay on this Rte 1 all the way right in to Newburyport and you'll see a rotary with the Whistle Stop Convenience Store on your right, just past this store up ahead on the right is the parking lot for the train. You can even buy your tickets at the store first, it'll make it easier and also remember to pick up a schedule there if you don't print one up online! You won't have to be on the highway at all to get to this parking lot either, so you can avoid that scene! Just leave your car in this lot for the day and take this particular train right in to North Station and you can either take the orange line (MBTA) from here to get in to Back Bay or you can walk right out of North Station and head up to Faneuil Hall Marketplace, it's only a few minutes from here, as is the North End for a Regina Pizza and the Freedom Trail starts right at the Boston Common a little further up from Faneuil Hall.

You can also take this same exact train in to Salem, MA for the day too if you have the time, check out the schedule, it's a good idea to have it with you for your connections. It's explained quite a bit on the site www.mbta.com and you'd also be taking this same exact train (the Newburyport/Rockport line) You could very easily take this train in to Salem, MA for the day and then head back to Newburyport upon your return. The schedule and fares are all on the MBTA site for your convenience.

So to answer your question Go-OSUBucks, YES, you can still stay in Portsmouth and get down to Boston in no time, and you can get to Salem, MA for the day, or even head up to Portland, ME if you have the time. You'll really enjoy Portsmouth, NH. especially if you stay at that particular Marriott that's close by to their downtown. Both areas are very quaint, extremely seaporty type towns that are filled with the unique brick row houses, a lot of brick streets with many different shops and wonderful, cafe's, bistros and restaurants to explore. You'll also enjoy seeing Salem if you get the chance. There's a lot of history, museums, tons of unique shops, cool restaurants, cruises along the harbor, although the month of March is iffy. The cruises actually all start May and run till October, so forget that scene then. Tons of other things to do though. In Portsmouth see if you can check out Strawbery Banke:

www.strawberybanke.org

Also in Portsmouth, see if the Seacoast Repertory Theatre has anything good during March, it's a little early now to check, but as you're getting closer to your dates here, check this site, it's a place that both your young teen and 7 year old will really enjoy:

www.seacoastrep.org

You're all going

3. Re: Trains or T from Portsmouth to Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 15, 2009