We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

This September, as part of a longer trip through Canada I hope to spend 3 days in Montana, mainly to get a glimpse at Glacier National Park and Going to the Sun Road.

I am planning to drive south from Waterton NP (CA) along the Chief Mountain Hwy. Then over a couple of days (19-20th), cross Glacier National Park. So should just beat the planned road closure on the 21st.

I planning to return to Canada to visit the city of Nelson, would Hwy 2 or 93 be the more interesting drive? , and is it worth spending a night somewhere out of the park.

Now... this is a outline of my current plan for the entire trip

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit…

I could change my plans for the 4-5 days and spend them in the US instead. I need to be back in Vancouver around the 26th for my flight home, I was hoping to check out the desert landscape around Osoyoos but would the scenery through Montana / northern Washington be more interesting/unique then returning via Canada?

Would the National Bison Range or Waterton National Park (Ca) be better for viewing Bison?

Thanks for any advice.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
484 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

Last year we planned a few days near Kelowna, followed by a few days at Glacier NP, so we had similar decisions to make. In the end we decided it wasn't worth spending any extra time on the journey, and did it in one day, by the route you show (though without the detour to Nelson). It's all pleasant enough, but no comparison to all the highlights you will have already visited.

We did remark on the contrast between the two sides of the border. It's the far north of the USA, which is largely forest, and not much population. But it's the far south of Canada, where all the people live. So we had a nice lunch in Creston, a pleasant, fairly prosperous looking town. We then crossed the border and met only a couple of cars all the way to Bonners Ferry. I've only been the one route, so I can't make comparisons, but I preferred the Canadian side.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

Yes, the Canadian side is more scenic and interesting and safer-better roads. Nelson is a great town.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

Thanks for the feedback, seems like I would head back to Canada quite quickly. That also means I do not have to plan a new route.

Still keen on feedback wither Hwy 2 or 93 is the more interesting drive? ,

Edited: 11:41 pm, May 29, 2014
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

Hi!

Laura from Tourism Kelowna.

Highway 2 in Alberta is through the prairie with farming and some ranching. It's one of those places you feel like the sky is big and you can see a long way. I've always enjoyed travelling it but it will depend what kind of scenery you want and what you want to do. There are several small communities along the route. Nanton has an interesting Bomber Command Museum, featuring the Lancaster Bomber. The Fort Museum in Fort Macleod is good for a stop to learn about the North West Mounted Police and the Musical Ride.

BC Highway 93 is through a mountain valley, with more communities along the route. One of the hot springs is always good for a stop to relax and take in the view. Great scenery along the way.

Perhaps someone else can give you more information on both these routes.

Safe travels and have a great holiday!

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

Thanks for the info Laura , was actually meaning HW 2 in Montana rather then H2 in AB..

H2 Montana changes eventually becomes H3 3 or 3A in Canada.

6. Re: Glacier Park, and the best way to head back west.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 09, 2015