We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

Which Montana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

I've searched, read, viewed pictures, and more. I have NO IDEA where to go in Montana! There seem to be so many fantastic places, but I only have so much time, so I need your help!

I am departing from Devil's Tower and will have 2 days before our reservations at Lake Yellowstone. We plan on taking the Bear Tooth pass, but really have no plans. I don't mind driving, but would rather spend some time doing things rather than just driving. I am traveling with my wife and 2 teenage daughters who love small local shops. Wildlife, scenery, shopping, light hiking, B&Bs or Hotels... Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

This is not in Montana, but I think Cody Wyoming is a fun town. You could go to the rodeo, shop and visit the wonderful museum in town.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
73 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

You don't need to go via Montana from Devil's Tower to Yellowstone, true. Cutting across WY makes much more sense and is more scenic. Buffalo, Wy has always been one of my favorite small towns. Not a lot of shopping, but a sweet old downtown that straddles a scenic creek (check out the Occidental Hotel), very nice locale. Buffalo would be a good mid-point for an overnight stop, then a second night in Cody, which is more bustling with tourists & gift shops. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is top notch. This will quickly burn up two days on drive btw Devil's Tower and Yellowstone.

Edited: 12:28 pm, June 21, 2013
Level Contributor
37 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

We are spending over a week in Wyoming after we arrive, I was looking for recommendations for MONTANA.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

Then head to the Little Bighorn Battlefield then Red Lodge and over the Beartooth Hwy.

Billings MT
Level Contributor
72 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

From Devils Tower into Montana, the Little Bighorn Battlefield can be your first stop. It will take about 3 hours to get there and plan on spending at least an hour or two at the battlefield. If you take the route north from Devils Tower into Montana, Broadus is the only town where you can get something to eat before you get to the battlefield. If you take I-90 you will have many more choices of towns to get something to eat. At the battlefield there is one restaurant that I can think of. Then I would recommend driving to Red Lodge and spending the night there before taking the Beartooth Highway. It takes about two hours to get from the battlefield to Red Lodge. Red Lodge has many local shops (be sure to stop at the Montana Candy Emporium), and some good eating places. They have a nature center featuring local wildlife, and it would be just a short drive to find a trail to hike. Take your time driving the Beartooth Highway. The scenery will astound you. The town of Cooke City, which is at the end of the Beartooth Highway before you enter Yellowstone, has a few little shops. That is also an option for a place to spend the night before going into Yellowstone.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

If you want to head a little further west, there are some interesting sights around Three Forks - Headwaters SP, Lewis and Clark caverns, Canyon Ferry Lake, etc. This link may be helpful to you: stateparks.mt.gov

If you drive south from Three Forks, you can explore the Ennis area, including Virginia City and Nevada City. From Ennis you have about a 90-min. drive to West Yellowstone, along the Madison River, past Quake Lake and Hebgen Lake - all very scenic and interesting.

Whatever you decide to do - Have Fun!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
73 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

If you go up to Little Bighorn and across I-90, Livingston is a fun overnight, with Murray Hotel and lots of good local restaurants/some shopping. Then dip down to Chico Hot Spgs in Prey, MT, for one rustic but very comfortable night there before Yellowstone.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

I would go to the Battlefield and then down to Red Lodge via Absarokee.

You could stop at the Grizzly Bar in Roscoe and go up to see East Rosebud Lake along the way. (The bar is a bar and restaurant and fine for kids).

I think they'd like Red Lodge a lot.

9. Re: Need Help! 2 days in Montana...now what?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 25, 2014