We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montana Sapphires

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Montana Sapphires

Hi all we are going to GNP and YNP in June. Our time is limited as I already made reservations 3 in GNP and 3 in YNP then drive home. Basically we will be on I-90. I know Helena and Phillipsburg is where the mines are and such. But, I'd like to get a place just off of I90 without going that far off of I90... Thanks for any help I can get... OH what I want is the gravel bags to screen myself.. We've done this before and thats half the fun...

thanks

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montana Sapphires

Didn't you ask for this before? I don't know any places that do this in Montana.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Montana Sapphires

Gem Mountain Sapphire Mine

http://www.gemmountainmt.com/#

nevada-outback-gems.com/Rockhound/Montana-sa…

suite101.com/article/dig-for-sapphires-and-p…

http://www.yogogems.com/

Deb

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montana Sapphires

Do they have the bags of ore, Deb? I've never seen that, but I haven't looked very hard to be truthful. I've never seen any mines developed for tourists, just more serious rockhounds.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Montana Sapphires

I've never been to any of them but from the website it looks like Gem Mountain has a gravel wash trough for tourists. It also says it has "indoor gravel washing" and "bags to go" available.

My dad took the tour of the Yogo mine in Lewistown quite a few years back and said it was really interesting. Their website wasn't real clear on what type of activities they offer other than tours.

Deb

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montana Sapphires

I don't think I asked about this before... Anyhow I do know of places in Helena and Phillipsburg to get sapphire gravel in bags. but I didn't want to take the detour to these places to get it. I wanted to stay close to I-90 and hopefully get some close to that. I don't have any time between GNP and YNP so I may just have to try and go to Phillipburg on the way home.. Its quite out of the way to go there so I was trying for a closer place to I90

Thanks all

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montana Sapphires

Phillipsburg is only 30 miles off of I90......in Montana terms that is nothing. LOL....we've driven 60 miles just to eat lunch in Red Lodge.

You could easily fit in in between Glacier and Yellowstone by driving down Hwy 93 past Flathead Lake to Missoula. Get on I90 and drive until Drummond and take Hwy 1 the 30 miles to Phillipsburg. Continue on Hwy 1 ad get back on I90 west of Butte. That road is the Pintler Sceic Route and goes through some beautiful country.

Deb

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montana Sapphires

So true, Deb! We used to road trip from Bozeman down to Gardiner just to hit the hot pots for a few hours.

Someone recently did ask about the bagged gem ore. Hopefully they'll see this post.

8. Re: Montana Sapphires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Montana