We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

ontario canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

We are Visiting from Ontario Canada to Montana in July this year (6-13). We have rented a cabin just south of livingston for the week and plan to visit yellowstone.

We have three boys ages 4, 6,& 9

Wondering if anyone has any tips on visiting with kids?

Best sights to see in the area?

Attire needed?

Safety, ie wildlife, snakes etc

The place we are staying is rural and has a fenced yard area.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,249 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

My first thought is that you are adding a LOT of windshield time if you are staying near Livingston and trying to visit Yellowstone from there. Drive times in the park are slow, max of 45 mph. In thinking of time frames, we usually double the miles to get time for travel without stops. For instance, it is 50 miles from Mammoth (the closest attraction to the North gate) to the Old Faithful area, so about 100 minutes. Depending on where you are located, you will likely add another hour on to that. Mammoth to Canyon is 32-38 miles depending on your route, so close to 1.5 hours there as well.

Here is a link to the National Park service Yellowstone site. I am having trouble getting the map to come up, but perhaps it will work for you.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

No snakes to speak of in Yellowstone, but you will need to be careful of other wildlife especially bison and elk, which people sometimes don't realize are dangerous as well.

nps.gov/yell/…safetyvideos.htm

If you have other questions about Yellowstone, please feel free to join us on the Yellowstone forum on the Wyoming site.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28973-i480-Wyomin…

Attire? Well, you may need jackets. Also sunscreen, hats for the kids if they will wear them. Bug spray. The park is very, very casual.

Pam

Edited: 1:01 pm, January 14, 2013
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

Pam.....While rarely seen, Yellowstone is home to 5 different types of snakes including rattlesnakes. The other types seen inside the park include: bull snake, valley garter snake, wandering garter snake, and rubber boa

snake.

We found this garter snake on the Fairy Falls Hike. (And yes, I violated the 25 yard rule).

…photobucket.com/albums/…143.jpg

I've seen some pics of some really big bullsnakes around Mammoth.

Deb

Edited: 1:38 pm, January 14, 2013
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,249 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

Well thanks so much Deb. <grin> I am snake-a-phobic and had deluded myself in to thinking I didn't need to watch for the slithery critters! When I am in snake country, I try to go by the old time Southern foresters rule that the snake goes after the *chain man*...3rd in line.

The only snake I've seen in the park was at Artist Paint Pots, perhaps 15 years ago. The then 3 yr old nephew was in front and stepped over it, then jumped about 3 feet in the air like a cartoon. It was so very funny! (And nowadays, knowing what I know about the park, the 3 yr old would not be in the lead!)

To the OP, sorry about my misinformation!

Pam

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

Where there used to be snakes is around Livingston. Since you're sensitive I won't say, but ask an old timer when you're in town.

You can have a great vacation in Paradise Valley, bit if you're really intent on seeing all of Yellowstone you have set yourself up for a LOT of car time. You can get there, but it isn't fast. Sometimes not moving at all, for an hour or more due to road construction or a buffalo jam, or both, on the same day.

Cute baby garter snake Deb! Other than rattlesnakes, the snakes listed are not venomous or known for anything besides eating mice and smaller things. I think rattlesnakes are not too common in the park. They like it hotter and drier.

Edited: 1:49 am, January 15, 2013
5. Re: Montana with Kids ( Including Yellowstone) Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 17, 2014