We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
175 reviews
Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

I am planning a trip to this wonderful state with my brother in late July,landing in Billings then travelling to Sidney in the Eastern State for a birthday party before being free to enjoy the remainder of my time which is about 7 days .

I would be grateful if someone could recommend a scenic route from Sidney finishing in Bozeman that could take in some historic sites,beautiful scenery, maybe a rodeo and the rail road at some point, also any recommendations about good places to stay would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your expert advice

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
1. Re: Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

Well a majority of your trip to Sidney would be on Interstate, quickest and most direct route. I-94 .. then you could return that way - at least part way.

If you want some "back roads" take i-94 back and then you could cut off at Forsyth- and take Highway 12/3 into Roundup, and Harlowtown and then into White Sulphur Springs.. much more scenic than the I-94 - I-90 route. - Then take the Highway South out of White Sulphur Springs to Clyde Park- go to Livingston- Stay at the Historic Murray Hotel.. head down to Paradise Valley.. GORGEOUS!.. then make your way to Bozeman.

Red Ants Pants Festival in White Sulphur Spring July 29-31 -BBQ, Concert funt times. Shakespeare in the Park in Roundup July 10th - Festival of the Wind July 28-30 in Harlowtown. - Summer Fest on the Yellowstone in Livingston July 15-17 - Park County Fair in Livingston 8/3-8/5 - In Bozeman Gallatin County Fair July 20-24 - Bite of Bozeman food festival August 3 - Hope this helps. I would highly recommend this route.. very scenic, prairies to majestic mountains. See this site for more information for your trip -Official state site.. www.visitmt.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
175 reviews
2. Re: Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

Thank you for your assistance with this - I will look up this route on the map.....

I probably should have mentioned that I had hope that we would like to visit Glacier National Park - is this possible ? and what route would be best to accommodate this..

Thank you :)

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
1 review
3. Re: Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

Hwy 200 right out of Sidney is a good highway to take you west through a variety of landscapes and towns. It would take you all the way to Great Falls and then up to Glacier on Hwy 89. To get back to Bozeman you could take a variety of highways that will take you buy a lot of wonderful scenery. If you have 7 days from leaving Sidney to when you need to get to Bozeman it is very doable and would be a wonderful trip.

My recommendation is to look at some online maps of Montana to familiarize yourself with the layout of the state. We are a huge state! When you get to Sidney I'm sure some of your relatives there will be able to give you more specific directions and you will be able to get a Montana road map to assist you. If you happen to go buy a Montana Visitors Center you can get a Montana trip planner that gives lists of motels, campgrounds, activities for different areas in Montana. The website posted above is the online version.

Good luck with your planning and have a great time in Montana!

Deb

Montana
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

The Richland County Fair is going on in Sidney August 3 - 6. On the night of August 4 & 5 there is a rodeo each night if you still happen to be here (Sidney) either of those nights. Also, getting to Glacier Park from Sidney will be a 8 - 10 hour drive, shortest route on Hwy 2 which is a pretty boring drive. Unless you like driving/sitting a 7 day trip including both Sidney and Glacier might be pushing it. You might be best to focus this trip on Eastern Montana to Bozeman and make another visit some day to tour the Western half of the state.

5. Re: Sidney to Bozeman- a scenic route ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Montana