We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inerstate highway 65??

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Inerstate highway 65??

We may take this route from Iowa to Branson or vice versa. Any tips on interesting stops? TY!!!! Also any accomadations near to highway at the Iowa border? Going in mid August CANNNNNOT WAIT!!!!!!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

Do you mean US 65? Interstate 65 runs from Chicago down through Indiana to Alabama. US 65 is not a part of the interstate system and in most places is a 2 lane highway.

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

I guess that is what I'm looking at US 65, someone else recommended this route to us, any info on the corrected route? TY

Sikeston, Missouri
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

Interstate 35 runs through northern Missouri (from Des Moines to Kansas City)., then heads for the southwest states. From Kansas City you could take Interstate 70 east to it's junction with U.S. 65, then head south believe that will eventually put you in the neighborhood of Branson.

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

Good morning Blaine,

I have not travelled US 65 north of Buffalo MO. But my daughter tells me that it is very good highway north of there to at least I70. I don't know about places to stay near the Iowa border. You will have lots of farmland vistas as you travel south. If you are into old barns (a strange hobby I know) there are many along your route from at least Buffalo south to Springfield. My daughter likes that route to stop and photograph barns along the way. In Springfield you will find a multitude of places to eat or lodging if needed. Bass Pro Shops has their flagship store in Springfield. From Springfield south to Branson the scenery changes to a more rugged, less farmfield terrain.

Sorry I don't have more of the info you were looking for but after reading the previous postings I wanted to assure you that US 65 is a good route to travel to Branson and I know that at least from Buffalo south it is 4 lane divided highway.

Edited: 8:28 am, July 28, 2011
Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
121 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

The highway you speak of is U.S. 65 and it is continuous from Minnesota to New Orleans, I think, which is why it received a U.S. highway designation decades ago. It is a mixture of 2-lane and four-lane highway. It will take you through a variety of towns, farms, and vistas, and for my money it is a lot more interesting that the alternative route of I-35, Highway 71, Highway 7 and Highway 13, but you should look at a good map and see which you prefer. That latter route is all four-lane but it also will swing you a good deal westward and out of your way, presumably.

If you look at a current U.S. 65 map you will see that it has a lot of four-lane highway both north and south of Sedalia, basically from I-70 almost to Warsaw, Missouri. South of Warsaw it is two-lane for about 40 miles to Buffalo, then it becomes four-lane again all the way to Springfield and then south to Branson. North of I-70, from the Iowa border to I-70, it is mostly two-lane, but some of those stretches will be "improved" two-lane and will be quite a bit straighter than two-lane highways sometimes are.

In terms of places to stay, I know there are decent motels in Chillicothe, which is not too far south into Missouri. Princeton and Trenton might, as well.

If it were me, I would take Highway 65, but I don't mind two-lane roads that much.

Enjoy your trip!

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

thank you all!!!

7. Re: Inerstate highway 65??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 10, 2012