We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2014 Minnesota travel.

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
May 2014 Minnesota travel.

We are two adults traveling to Minnesota from Texas in late May with our fifth wheel. Plan to catch a few ball games and would love some input on best camping locations plus must see locations and eateries. Lover of great food, scenic trips, antiquing, fairs, farmers markets and historical sites.

Will park our rv at a couple of locations for a few days on the journey and drive to various interests. Open to all opinions. No specific route planned as of yet.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

How long of a stay?

when you say camping I immediately think of the north shore of Lake Superior, because it's scenic and the drive is scenic as well.

But it's by no means the only area to camp as this state is blessed with some pretty spectacular campgrounds ranging from walk-in sites to car-park sites to RV sites. Some campgrounds have all 3. Some are more rustic and are mostly walk-in.

My favorite camping area is Tettegouche. I know they have RV parking (60-foot limit) but I have no idea what part of the campground the RVs hook up. But it's a beautiful park -- Baptism River and Palisade Valley. And right on the ricky shoreline of lake superior.

…state.mn.us/state_parks/…index.html

Again, there are others. Taylor's Falls is a nice stop too. Very good scenery there.

For the ball games part .. where will the RV be while you are in the city?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

another question: will you be entering the state via I-35?

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

Yes we are traveling via I35. Were considering a brief few days touring lower portion of state determined by most interesting attractions we come up with. May plant in Owatonna region or nearby. Then possibly move up just north of Minneapolis and park for more days to tour city, attend games and interests in nearby towns. We don't mind driving all over as time allows. Just don't want to set up and move rv too much. I am told Superior drive is amazing. Considering that as well. I have visited Mall of America and stayed several days in Ely. Beautiful!! But don't want to repeat that journey.

4. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:52 pm, February 27, 2014
Edited: 10:52 pm, February 27, 2014
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

In SW MN, you could stay at one of the following three locations and make day trips to the others:

1. Pipestone National Monument in Pipestone. Scenic and educational. Kind of a little oasis in the middle of the prairie. Pipestone RV Park is about a half mile away. It's clean, has full hookups, mini golf, a pool and bingo.

2. Blue Mounds State Park near Luverne. I haven't been here yet, but it's on my list.

3. Cross the border just a little ways into South Dakota and go to Palisades State Park. It's like a mini Grand Canyon. You can camp in Palisades, but there are no full hookups. Sites have electricity. Water and a dump station are found within the campground. Near Palisades is Devil's Gulch city park, if you like a bit of cheesy legend. Supposedly Jesse James' horse jumped the gulch after a MN bank robbery, but it's pretty far fetched. It's free, though, and it's a scenic little hike.

4. You could also make a trip over to Falls Park in Sioux Falls and see the city's namesake falls. It's also free.

I will warn you that we have had sleep problems with train whistles at both Palisades and Pipestone, so if you're a light sleeper, you might want to try Blue Mounds.

In SE MN, you can take a long daytrip from Minneapolis and go SE on Hwy 61. Stop at the pottery place in Red Wing. Stop at the eagle center and Lark Toys (even if you don't have kids) in Wabasha. Go up Garvin Heights in Winona for a panoramic view of the Mississippi Valley. In Winona, cross the bridge over into Wisconsin. Stop at lock and dam 5A and see if you can see a tow going through. Keep going up the Wisconsin side of the river. Have supper at the Harbor View in Pepin, WI. Delicious gourmet food. See if you can make a reservation.

I can't tell you where to camp in SE MN, but if you find a central base you could hit Rochester, Amish country and Lanesboro. In Rochester, tour the Mayo estate and the Mayo Clinic. In Lanesboro, see a professional-grade play at the Commonweal (sp?) Theater. Rent a bike if the weather cooperates and ride the Root River Trail.

In the Minneapolis area, if you like history see the James J. Hill house, Murphy's Landing/MN Heritage Park (not sure when it opens for the season- you'll have to check), the Mill City Museum and Stone Arch Bridge and Fort Snelling.

Edited: 11:11 pm, February 27, 2014
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

vanmern,

if you were looking for suggestions on camping along the way to MN, I'd suggest posting on Trip Advisors Roadtrip Forum.

I agree with mnathens that the N. shore is one of the best areas to camp in MN. Plenty to see and do there. Lots of campsites available, but since this could be around the Memorial Day weekend, it could be very busy, and you'd need reservations.

As for the Southern part of our state, there are many places to see, depending upon your interests. 3174 gave you some good ideas, in SE MN, the drive on Hwy 61 along the Mississippi River is very nice. Whitewater State Park is an excellent choice for camping, and has great trout fishing.

…state.mn.us/state_parks/…index.html

Campgrounds around the Twin Cities include KOA's in Jordan, and Maple Grove. As well as State , county and regional parks.

Websites showing types of camping and spots available, the costs and contact info are available for all of the parks:

• For William O’Brien and Afton state parks, go to

www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks.

• For regional parks in Anoka, Dakota and Washington counties, go to

www.anokacountyparks.com

www.co.dakota.mn.us

www.co.washington.mn.us

• For regional parks in Hennepin, Carver and Scott counties, go to the Three Rivers Park District site at

www.threeriversparks.org

www.co.carver.mn.us.

• KOA sites are at

www.koa.com.

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

Thank you all for the replies. I am researching your suggestions and hope to set a route soon. I spent some time in Ely several years ago with my college age daughter and we went on a canoe and hicking journey for a week. Was one of the most beautiful places I have traveled to date. Very excited to return with my husband and share new experiences with him.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

You should probably post on Trailer Life as that is where the RVer's post. That being said for a campground close to the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro I'd recommend Lebanon Hills RV Park in Apple Valley. It's a good, clean park close to the Mall of America, zoo, etc. We also have a fifth wheel and one of our favorite parks is near Stillwater, just northeast of St. Paul called William O'Brien state park. Stillwater is located on the St. Croix river and has some great antique shops, restaurants and farmers markets. If you head about 15 miles north of the park (30 miles from Stillwater) you'll run into Taylor's Falls, another little town on the river that has more shops, restaurants, a great park and scenic riverboat tours.

On your way north I'd also recommend a couple other state parks - Whitewater (where there are no mosquitos) and Forestville/Mystery Cave state park. Whitewater is located in a valley with some wonderful views, great hiking and just a very relaxing atmosphere. Forestville/Mystery cave has a cave you can tour and Forestville is a town that is no longer, but they do re-enactments and open the town on certain holidays which is really fun. There is also a wonderful bike trail near this park. You can find more information on all of these parks on the MN state park website. www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

You might want to check out the St. Croix River Valley. Hudson, Wi. and Stillwater, Mn. are river towns close to each other with antique shops, galleries, good restaurants ,etc. Small towns through here are Afton (little south of Stillwater), Marine on St. Croix, and Taylors Falls on the Mn. side, and St. Croix Falls and Osceola on the Wi. side. Personally. I think either the Mn or Wi Interstate park is great. Very scenic area with nice campgrounds. Both have canoe rentals where you could do about a two or three hour paddle and not see hardly any dwellings and some pretty scenery.

Most of these towns have farmer's markets; there are several wineries in the area; lots of history with river towns and their logging history as well as being a gateway for the settlement of eastern Minnesota. There is a very scenic train ride out of Osceola that crosses the river into Minnesota. Favorite places to eat? Eichten's is a family run restaurant with great meals, a good beer selection, and a market specializing in cheeses they make on the place. It's about 5 miles west of Taylors Falls on Highway 8. In Taylors Falls there is Coffee Talk for pastries and coffee and Tangled Up in Blue for a fine dining meal. Polar Pete's in St. Croix Falls has a good deli counter for lunch. Osceola has a really good Mexican restaurant. Finally, in Marine on the St. Croix, there is a pizzaria with wood oven pizzas and Brookside for good basic bar food. Further down the valley in Stillwater and Hudson there are many good places to eat also. Might check TA reviews,

Wabasha, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 2014 Minnesota travel.

The south east of MN is a beautiful location. Drive 61 through Red Wing, Lake City and into Wabasha. There you will find a delightful old Mississippi-side main street and the National Eagle Center, where can get up close to bald and golden eagles. There are two RV sites in town and plenty of quality places to eat. This is Minnesota's bluffland and has it's fair share of state parks. Following 61 south you will come to Winona, a thriving 'island' city with plenty of historic buildings. Other places in the area are Lanesboro and Harmony. I can recommend a visit to Niagra Cave too.

No matter where you end up, safe travels.