We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

Scotland
Level Contributor
174 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

We are hoping to travel (without a car) from Minneapolis down the Mississippi by way of Minnesota and Wisconsin and ending up in Madison.I have information about public transport on the Wisconsin side and wondered if anyone can help me with information about the same in Minnesota?

We aren't sure year where we'll be stopping off though have thought of Winona, Red Wing, Stillwater,La Crosse or Duburque.Any ideas about places not to be missed would be most helpful. We like downtown B&Bs rather than hotels.We intend taking abous 6 days to get from Minneapolis to Madison.

Thanks for any help.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

Amtrak or Greyhound could do it

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

I suggest Red Wing for at least a night. I can't specifically recommend a B and B there but I know they have them. An old town on the river with bluffs and nice scenery

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

Stillwater is NE of Minneapolis while the other places mentioned are south. Red Wing and Winona are good places for b&bs, and interesting places to check out. Mention of Dubuque also brings up thoughts of Galena, IL, another historic riverfront town. If one is interested in wineries, there's a tour site for Iowa wineries along with those two cities. http://www.iowawinetoursinc.com/contact.html

I think it would be easy to find public transit from Dubuque to Madison,

Scotland
Level Contributor
174 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

Thanks for all the advice.Planning still going on & I think that it will be Red Wing and/or Winona and La Crossein the end.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/request/…

6. Re: Public transport on the Minnesota side of the Misissippi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 15, 2013