We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

I made a reservation for 7/1-4 and though the reservation was confirmed, I received the following email. Does anyone have a guess if it Is likely the parks will close?

"Dear Minnesota State Park Guest:

As you may have heard, the State of Minnesota may not have a budget as of July 1, 2011. We are hopeful that a resolution will be reached. If we do not have a budget, however, Minnesota State Parks and Trails will be required to close camping and lodging facilities by 4:00 PM on Thursday, June 30, 2011. Because we will likely not be able to contact you about last-minute progress on the budget negotiations, please watch for media coverage on state budget updates. We will make every effort to have media announcements clarify the current conditions as we approach June 30. We also encourage you to check the website mndnr.gov/shutdown for updates."

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

At this point it does not look promising. I would suggest watching the Minneapolis Star Tribune for updates as well.

www.startribune.com

You may need to register......and my fingers are crossed for you!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,199 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

And the other local newspaper is at : http://www.twincities.com/

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

Thanks for the links. We'll head into MN in any case, but it would be nice if we didn't have to pack for camping if we can't camp.

Nearly every state park I looked at within 2 hours of Minneapolis was full or near full, what a disappointment for a lot of people for the long weekend if the closures do take place.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
733 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

Although they are probably full, start checking private campgrounds.

Grand Marais...
Level Contributor
931 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

What part of MN are you coming to?

Perhaps we can help with alternatives.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

My daughters live in Minneapolis, so the plan was to camp within a couple hours of the city, so they could join us for part of the time. Reservations are at Flandrau state park in New Ulm. Our preference is west or south of the cities, but we checked William O'Brian, Wild River, Frontenac (none had 3 nights available).

Main interests were hiking, campfires, some beach/water time, relaxing.

Grand Marais...
Level Contributor
931 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

I did a quick search in New Ulm, but only found 1 private campground in New Ulm, a Finstad's Oak Haven CG. but I found no website.

This is from the Chamber of Commerces website.

…chambermaster.com/directory/…

I know some of the small towns near there have town or county parks that have camping. (Sorry, haven't been in any, just see the signs as I drive by.)

Also, have you considered going further East, toward the Mississippi River? SE MN has a lot to offer, and more private campgrounds.

Here is a link to Explore Minnesota that allows you to search for exactly what you want.

exploreminnesota.com/places-to-stay/campgrou…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

Unfortunately, if the state parks close you may not have any options. We also have reservations at a state park beginning July 2nd and I made some phone calls to private parks a few weeks ago and they are all booked.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

The State will likely shutdown. If you are interested in being a couple hours from Mpls, look at going to WI state parks. Willow River State Park is just outside Hudson, WI. This would be about an hour from Mpls.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
733 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budgetary state park closures 7/1?

This is an awesome park, but most likely full.