We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

We are looking for recommendations for a nice resort on a lake somewhere in the southern part of the state. Our young boys love to fish and a swimming pool would be great. Any suggestions or other ways to research would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

Southern Mn is not known for resorts. Northern Mn is where the resorts are located. However, there are some nice campgrounds. I'm assuming that you are driving from KC? If you are not interested in trek up north, you might consider Honey Creek Resort located in Moravia IA. It is on a lake, has nice accomadations and a waterpark.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

Haven't stayed htere but there's a nice looking little resort on Lake Shetek in SW Minnesota. Not too far from IA border. Been to the lake though and it is nice. One of the largest in southern MN.

http://lakesheteklodge.com/index.html

No pool but the lake is nice for swimming and has sand beach. Decent fishing for panfish.

Edited: 1:14 pm, April 12, 2011
Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
733 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

Lake Shetek is a nice lake. I wouldn't consider it a "resort" area. It is more of a lake that happens to have a lodge. Good camping & fishing. If you are still looking for a Mn resort, you make want to consider Brainerd, Bemiji, Alexandria or the North Shore. There also is Okoboji in north centeral. (close to Mn border)

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

I was thinking of Okoboji also. I haven't stayed there, but thought it appeared to be a nice area when I drove past it several years ago. It's in Iowa, not too far west of I35.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

We have been to Okoboji and found it be very crowded during the summer. Not really our cup of tea. As for resorts in Southern Minnesota - if you want to do a camping cabin in one of the state parks, I'd recommend Myre-Big Island by Albert Lea.

You didn't say what part of southern Minnesota, but there are quite a few resorts near New London Spicer on and around Green Lake. You could do a search on the explore minnesota site. We really like that area and camp at nearby Sibley State Park.

6. Re: Looking for Resort in Southern Minnesota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 26, 2012