We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I have more advice please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Can I have more advice please?

We are spending a week in the north woods of minnesota next September and you have give me so much help here.

We have now decided to take a two week holiday and are going to go to Yellowstone for wildlife viewing before ending up in Ely. We will be driving from Gardiner in Mt to Ely in Mn and want to make two overnight stops along the way, one in North Dakota and one in Minnesota. Any ideas of a good stop in Minnesota coming in from Bismarck for example? Hope we are not being too ambitious!!

Thanks again :-)

Mentioned in this post
Ely
Ely
Minnesota
North Dakota
North Dakota
United States
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I have more advice please?

If you haven't checked out Medora ND, (near the MT state line), I think you'll really like that spot.

I remember going as a kid, and still have fond memories.

http://www.medora.com/

Maybe 2 nights there, and head out early and straight shot to Ely. Or overnight in Fargo ND / Moorhead MN, to break up the trek.

Mentioned in this post
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Ely
Ely
Minnesota
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Moorhead
Moorhead
Minnesota
Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I have more advice please?

I would check out Lake Itasca State Park south of Bemidji. It's one of the jewels of the state parks in Minnesota: scenic and historic. It's the headwaters of the Mississippi River and one of the rites of passage for many Minnesotans is to wade across the river in this park. There is a lodge in the park, a hostel, along with camping. There are many activities like biking, birding, and canoeing. I think they have bike and canoe rentals in the park: you could check on their website. If you didn't want to overnight here, Bemidji is a short distance away and is a good sized town that has a lot of tourist facilities. Also, one of the many homes of Paul Bunyan. It would be a scenic half day drive to Ely from this area.

Mentioned in this post
Bemidji
Bemidji
Minnesota
Mississippi River
Mississippi River
8 Reviews
Minnesota
Ely
Ely
Minnesota
London, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I have more advice please?

Many thanks for all your suggestions - I do love all this planning :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I have more advice please?

Hello again!

For our second stop - have seen a hotel - the Lodge on Detroit Lake in Detroit Lakes - is that a nice area to stop in?

Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I have more advice please?

Haven't been physically in the hotel, just by it. Seemed like a nice area on the lake other than the building is near a fairly busy road. I also remember some train noise. This is not to say it won't be a nice stay, but rather it is pretty much right in town if I remember correctly. If you inquire further, I would call to ask about these issues or see if you can get a room facing the lake as it would likely be quieter for you (plus you get a better view).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I have more advice please?

Cross those comments on location partially out, I was thinking a different hotel. My apologies...unfortunately I don't have much recollection of this particular hotel.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I have more advice please?

The town of Detroit Lakes is okay, and the lodge is new. Detroit Lake is more of a prairie lake and a city lake. I'm sure it would be fine as a pit stop, but Itasca State Park or Bemidji would be a lot nicer.

Mentioned in this post
Bemidji
Bemidji
Minnesota
London, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I have more advice please?

Thanks - I will have a look at some accommodation in Bemidji.

Mentioned in this post
Bemidji
Bemidji
Minnesota
Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I have more advice please?

I might suggest you look at the Hampton Inn. It's quite new, right on the shore of Lake Bemidji, and has an attached restaurant as well as another right across the street. Nice setting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I have more advice please?

Thanks, I'll check that one out - appreciate the help.