We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

Fell in love with this area while doing some camping last year. I think we'll come back in summer 07 and try to stay at a vacation rental for a week. We'll have 2 kids with us (4 and 16) and could have another similar family going.

We'd like to base ourselves in a good spot for enjoying the beach, and general summer fun with a nice town. Want to eat ice cream and watch the sunset every night. Also interested in checking out lighthouses, scenery, exploring nearby towns, eating cherry pie, barbequing and having a firepit at night, going to playgrounds, riding bikes around town, canoeing, trinket shopping.

Like I said, general summer fun, but with daytrips for sleeping bear dunes and whatever else the group is up for. We figure we'll make an sidetrip or two for the more commercial stuff (amusement park, putt putt etc).

How about Frankfort? It seemed to fit the bill when we passed through. Or Glen Arbor or Glen Haven, Onekama ? I see rental prices for about $2500 per week (that sleep 8 or so). Please help with any thoughts, comparisons or suggestions. Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

What about camping again? Petoskey State Park sounds lke a perfect match for what you are looking for.

michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
649 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

I think Frankfort and Crystal Lake area is great fit for you. Lots of homes/cottages for rent around the Lake.

Maybe something cheaper, check around the inland lakes. We stayed at a lake just SE of Traverse City called Spider Lake. Would have been better except the temps struggled into the 70's in June the year we went.

My favorite place to stay is the NP southern campground. Easy hike or drive to Lake Michigan, alot of stuff to do in the area, close to Beulah and Frankfort and about 45 min to Traverse City.

I would also do a day trip to S Manitou Island from Leland.

warren, mi
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

dead head can i have the information on the mullet lake rental

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

Thanks for all the input. We've booked a cottage for a week in Frankfort and are excited.

Camping was incredibly nice up there, but the group going this time is a little less inclined. We lucked into a spot at the South campground of SBdunes (Platte) last year and it was great. I would warn anyone going there to either get one of the few reservations or have a plan B if full because it has well-deserved popularity.

We have plenty of things we can and will do but are open to suggestions. Will explore the local towns and beaches on Lake Mich and inland and eat cherry pie. We will canoe the Platte and maybe one other lake or river (suggestions welcome). We will explore SBDunes and dune climb and perhaps the Old Indian Trail. We will ride bikes on the Betsie Trail. We'll eat in, but also out too. Sunsets at Betsie Point, and in Arcadia. Definitely want to go up the Leelanau peninsula and check out those towns. We will visit the Cherry Bowl Drive-in movie. Wow, there goes the week. Maybe we need two.

Treeguy mentioned a day trip to Manitou Islands. I'd personally enjoy it, but wonder if it will be too big of a time investment for my 3 girls (wife, teenager, and 4 yr old). They are fairly good sports, but may not as enjoy it as much as me. How long do you think you need on this?

Open to any more area info. Thanks.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
649 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

It is an all day event. 3 hours RT with 4 1/2 hours on the island.

Check out http://www.leelanau.com/manitou/.

They offer tours on the island, you can camp overnight, either way, bring a lunch, no food service on the island

I definitely enjoyed it, but I like history, lighthouses, trees, outdoors.

My favorite part was visiting the old growth northern white cedars and seing the national champion cedar.

Michigan
Level Contributor
253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

What about Torch Lake area, Elk Rapids? Nothing but good reports in that area!! Enjoy.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
649 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

Platte River Campground is one of my favorites. I go mid June on a weekday and have no problems getting a site. Then sit back watch the people line up for spots on the weekend.

Manitou I. might not be to bad for a four year old as long as you stay in the town site. The hike to the cedars would be a little too far. Last time on the island, we hit the light house and the cedars, which took most of our time there. It's a nice ride out there, passing a light in the channel on the way. But it is a min 10 hour day from Frankfort and need to pack your own food and drink.

Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

We loved Frankfort so much we just bought an old victorian home there. Just blocks from Lake Michigan. About 20 minutes from skiing in the winter.

Even though we are not on the big lake, , it is just a short walk from the beaches, the town is so cute we enjoy walking around, bike trails, Betsy Bay, qaulity restaurants. short drive from Sleeping Bear Dunes etc, etc.

But we also love, Pentwater, White Lake and Muskegon. Roomy beaches and ice cream! South Haven and Grand Haven getting pricey.

michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

Muskegon Vacation Rentals house Beach Street House-Lake Michigan ...This inviting and spacious three bedroom- beautifully restored- 20's cottage overlooks Lake Michigan and Pere Marquette Park. ...

cyberrentals.com/USA/…p134944.htm - 76k - Cached - Similar pages

The Big Party! Muskegon Summer Celebration, June 28 - July 8, 2007MUSKEGON, MI - The Muskegon Summer Celebration, The BIG Party, and the Muskegon Air Fair, Michigan's largest air show, announce the first round of acts ...

summercelebration.com/media/pr/pr_022106.aspx - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from www.summercelebration.com ]

20. Re: Suggestions for NW Michigan summer ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, August 28, 2009