We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Peninsula Road Trip

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Upper Peninsula Road Trip

I am planning a 8 day road trip through the upper peninsula. Day one: St Ignace and Mackinac Island for most of the day. Leave for Manistique and stay overnight there. Day two: Kitchitikipi, site seeing then off to Escanaba. Take a break and look around. Off to Iron Mountain. Stay overnight. Day three: Look around and visit a museum. Drive to Lake of the Clouds. Look and gawk. Camp overnight or drive to a nearby city. Day four: Drive up to copper harbor. Admire. Drive to Canyon Falls Park. Admire and rest. Drive to Ishpeming and stay overnight. Day five: Yooper Tourist Trap. Then off to Marquette. Museum, look around, admire. Drive to Munising. Stay overnight. Day 6: Tours, Look-a-bouts. Head to Newberry. Sleep. Day 7: Tahquamenon Falls and drive to Whitefish Point. Museum. Drive to Sault Ste. Marie. Rest. Day 8: Museum, Look around. Drive back to St Ignace. Rest. Does this look do-able? We will be visiting lighthouses and waterfalls along the way. Of course swimming too. We are taking the trip to get a feel of the area, to convince someone we need to move there (wife), and to get away from it all (unwind). Any major employers? I've been in plastic injection molding for the last few years, but only found 1 injection plant up there. Any other manufacturers? Recommendations for "making it?"

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

That's an ambitious agenda! Especially when you add in "visiting ligthouses, waterfalls, & swimming". You are missing the best (IMHO) part of the U.P. though - the Keweenaw!

I think this company does plastic injection; http://www.warmrain.com/

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

We will be driving through the Keweenaw (up to copper harbor). Mainly lighthouses and waterfalls, but that doesn't mean something we see along our way won't get us to stop. We haven't been to the UP, so my intentions were to see as much as possible in such a little amount of time.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

Oh ya...I missed that sentence about Copper Harbor. :) While up there don't miss the Quincy Mine tour or the Delaware Mine tour. When on US-41, take the 5 Mile Point Road in Mohawk (which becomes 26) to Copper Harbor. It's a much more scenic route through Eagle River, Eagle Harbor, then on to Copper Harbor. Also on the way back from CH, take the Gay- Lac La Belle Road down the eastern shore of the peninsula. Another scenic route.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

Scottie--my advice would be to plug each of those planned days into Google maps to give yourself an idea of how long you'll just be driving each day. It is easy to underestimate the size of the U.P. Too long on the road and too many rushed stops may or may not work to convince your wife that the U.P. is where she wants to relocate to. And at least for me, that pace of moving around would not let me unwind, as you claim you want to do.

Once you put the stops into a map, if the plan still sounds like it works for you and your wife I would suggest exploring this website and/or ordering their info-filled map:

hunts-upguide.com/….Ur1ugtJDuSp

They have done a great job of describing different areas/attractions.

As far as jobs, I googled "plastic injection molding companies in upper peninsula michigan" and several companies came up so give that a try and see if any of them sound like the kind of place you'd work for.

As far as tips for living, I haven't ever lived full-time in the U.P., but I have lots of family in the Keweenaw area. The ones who've stayed (versus grown up and moved away) tend to really love the outdoors, are flexible in the ways they make a living, and aren't focused on making a lot of money. (Getting rich isn't on any of their radar screens. Making a decent living is their goal.)

And from friends that moved to the U.P. many years ago, I think their biggest regret is that they didn't consider driving logistics during the winter. They'd always visited in the summer and chose to build a house in what they saw as their perfect summer location. In winter it is really tough for them to get out to a main road and then the drive into their nearest town can be quite long when it is snowy. They took early retirements so they don't have to work, but I suspect they are eating away at their retirement funds faster than planned because they find themselves spending less and less of the winter there.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

That's a lot of windshield time. If you are truly interested in getting a feel for the UP and consider living there, I would suggest trimming your visit to spend a little more time in some of the key areas. That would include the Keweenaw, Escanaba and Iron Mountain and Marquette. All of which would likely offer more potential employment opportunities and all have a lot to offer in terms of a UP Lifestyle, but all are slightly different.

Ironwood Plastics is a plastics injection company. Ironwood isn't really on your itinerary. The closest you come to that is Lake of the Clouds. You also may want to look at a company called Argonics, which is based out of the industrial park at Sawyer airport near Marquette,

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

I agree that it's mostly behind the wheel. Maybe my goals are ambitious. I may revise the itinerary. I knew about ironwood plastics (just wanted options for lack of a better word). I don't have a desire to be monetarily rich. I want to be high on life and enjoy the natural riches. Love being outdoors. Ideally the place I would want to live would have more evergreens than hardwoods. Not in BFE, but in the boonies with with modern conveniences less than an hour away. Winter comes with experience. I figured it would be easier to get into injection molding because that's where a big part of my experience comes from. I am open to doing almost anything to make it work. I will try scheduling more time in certain areas. What are some opinions in regards to schooling (k-12)?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

What time of the year are you planning this trip?

Never been to the UP but you want to move here. Interesting.

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

Last week in June, first week of July. I understand what you're thinking. I believe the UP has more to offer for an outdoorsman. The only things that Indiana has over the UP are jobs (based on what I've read) and maybe lower utilities. Winters here are mild (which suck). One day we can get 8 inches of snow and then two days later rain and be in the forties. Freezing rain sucks. I think Indiana gets more than the UP. Summers here are typically pretty hot (upper 80s, 90s, and even 100s). It's great if you want to go swimming, but drags any other time. The UP has more to offer in terms of hunting and fishing. I love both. Here in Indiana you have amish (live around them for as long as I have and you will understand). Sure I'm basing my thoughts and ideas on what I've read, pictures, and google maps, but I believe I would live a more fulfilling life In the UP than here in Indiana. Now for the wife this is a different story. She needs buttered up a tad bit. The main reason is family. Her family is here. Majority of mine has left state so it wouldn't be much different to me. Our main reason for going up there is to get a "feel" of all the areas we can. Of course this is a vacation, but I want to see and show what the UP can offer. I would like to spend more time in each area, but I only get so many vacation days. By visiting more than one area I can zoom in on what attracts our curiosity. We may find we like a couple areas or just one. So we will do more work on that area and get more time in that or those areas another time.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

Scottie ~ Maybe this would be the time to give your wife a little taste of winter in the Keweenaw as we are at 11+ feet of snowfall https://www.pasty.com/snow/ :) Or don't tell her until you buy a house up here.

Good luck on your mission to move to the U.P.

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upper Peninsula Road Trip

Thank you! A winter trip would be awesome! As far as the wife.... ...she'll get the hang of it.