We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip in winters Michigan

East Lansing...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Daytrip in winters Michigan

I live in Lansing and am looking for some place to go withing 2-3 hrs of drive. Not particularly keen on skiing. Looking for both outdoor and indoor activities. Since, I'm looking for a day trip, not quite looking for bar/clubs.

Even if it is 3-4 hrs, I could probably go for a weekend trip, but would like to avoid anything with extreme snow conditions on road.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

Tell us more about what you like to do, that will help us help you with suggestions! Are you going alone, with a significant other or friends/family? Age range? Museums, art, shopping, music? Thanks!

East Lansing...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

Sorry for a late response.

Would be going with SO. Both in late 20s. Looking for mostly indoor activities for now due to cold, like museums and art, but are open to outdoor activities too like a park or a hike, although I think that would be better for summers...

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
928 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

Grand Rapids comes to mind first. An hour's drive across I96 and you're there. There are several excellent museums downtown, lots of restaurants, and you can even take a nice walk along the Grand River. Everytthing downtown is close in proximity, and if you stay the night there are several nice hotels. www.experiencegr.com

Realizing you're from East Lansing, if you dare going to Ann Arbor, the Michigan campus and city of A2 have loads of activities and unique restaurants. The arboretum is a great place to take a walk and explore, and nearby is the Pinckney Recreation Area with miles of trails to hike.

East Lansing...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

Thanks for the response. In fact, Ann Arbor is what I was expecting to hear, it's a nice university town, quite close, but I could not find any interesting activities there...Arboretum seems like a good place...Any other activities there you might have in mind...I know they have good food....

Williamston...
Level Contributor
809 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

Have you considered the Detroit Institute of Arts?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

There are many indoor activities in Ann Arbor and a couple different event calendars to look at to find what's happening when you're thinking of coming.

General community events:

annarbor.com/events/…All-attributes

University of Michigan events:

http://events.umich.edu/

U of M museums listing:

http://www.umich.edu/museums.php

U of M athletics (there are lots of interesting and fun events even if you aren't big sports fans:

http://www.mgoblue.com/calendar/events/

Ann Arbor is fun in any season, but definitely in the winter when campus is running full tilt.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
774 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

How about Greenfield Village in Detroit?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

I think they took all of my answers.... !! ;) I liked the President Ford Museum and Fred Meijer Gardens (indoors, too, not just an outside garden) in GR.

A2-plenty of museums on campus, and yes the Arboretum sounds very nice-haven't been in years, though. Check out those websites luv2 gave you.

I am looking for a decent priced hotel in GR-near downtown. So, far I think the rates have been ridiculous, so no luck so far. How far is the airport hotels from downtown?

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
928 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

The hotels near GRR aren't the greatest. There are a few that are within a 10 minute drive. The Hyatt Place is nice and it's 10-15 minutes away.

10. Re: Daytrip in winters Michigan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 09, 2014