We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UP Pasties

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
UP Pasties

We love pasties, especially Lehto's, about 5 miles west of St. Ignace on US-2. However, it was closed on Friday, late afternoon, so we headed back and tried Suzy's. We really didn't like them as much as their crust looks and tastes like cardboard. The insides were great though. Lehto's has a flaky, buttery crust which is delicious in comparison. Even though Lehto's only offers one type, beef, and some don't like it because you eat it out of your hand without gravy, we love them.

We go again up to the UP for football next week so does anyone have another suggestion of a good pastie to try?

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UP Pasties

Dang! I only had one opportunity to eat a pasty when in the UP a short while ago. Wish we had your rec for Lehto's then.

Mine was at the Taq Falls Brewery in Paradise. Great taste, don't know how authentic though.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UP Pasties

If you're ever in Traverse City, try a pastie at Bill's Pastie Stand at the corner of 8th and Munson on the east side across from the bay. Right now it's in a yellow trailer but moving into the old gas station there. Very, very good. I understand he's a relative of Lehto's.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UP Pasties

You can try the Party & General Store on US 2 just before you get to the McDonalds (same side of the road). I've gotten some there several times and never been disappointed. There's a sign out front for homemade pasties.

We used to go to Lehto's years ago, so I know what you're talking about.

Edited: 11:22 am, October 09, 2011
Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UP Pasties

Thanks for the recommendation BayGuy. May have to try it. We're heading up to Cedarville for Friday night football so we may have to head a couple of miles west first for pastie's at the General Store. It's either that or a Clyde's burger :)

Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
381 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UP Pasties

We love Country Girl Diner in Naubinway. She makes a great pastie. It's rustic, to say the least, but the food is wonderful!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UP Pasties

Thanks. We pass through there frequently and have to check it out. We also like "rustic" places.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UP Pasties

Welcome back, BayGuy. Haven't seen you on here in a while!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UP Pasties

Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Co. in Mackinaw City.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UP Pasties

Thanks Tyme! It's been a busy, hectic summer. Things seem to be back to normal...

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UP Pasties

Well, lighthouse, we've passed by that many times, even when I worked up there, but never have tried it. On our list. May have to do a taste test at a couple of places this Friday.