We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

priceA2
Level Contributor
24 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

My Fiancé and I are in the early planning stages of our Wedding and are in need of some help picking a Venue for about 100 people. We are looking at late Summer 2011. We have tried the usual Wedding Sites and are having no luck. We are looking for somewhere next to water (preferably Lake Michigan) and also with some woods. Possibly a Bed and Breakfast or small hotel. We would need somewhere that either had an indoor option or would be able to put up a tent. Somewhere with a lot of natural beauty, but we don't want to feel like we are camping. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Edited: 4:04 pm, January 16, 2011
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

A few years ago, my niece got married at the Lake Bluff Audubon Center in Manistee. The grounds were lovely. It is directly on Lake Michigan, but we could not see the lake from the ceremony area because of the mature trees along the bluff. I don't think they do receptions there, but for my niece's wedding, the wedding party rode a trolley to the reception location in an historic hall in downtown Manistee. I don't remember the name of the hall, but if you'd like, I can find out. Good luck!

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
472 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

I copied an old post for ya... I think it might answer several questions. Let me know if I can offer any more help! I can tell you that after a lot of trying to work things out, there simply wasn't an affordable / On the Water / Intimate location in Grand Haven or Muskegon that the bride thought was "wedding worthy".

I've got a couple of questions for you. What size wedding are you looking at? What feel are you going for?

In the past two years I've been very involved with planning a couple weddings in the TC area... one at Chateau Chantel and the other at Ciccone's. The one at Chateau was very small, the one at Ciccone's was quite large. Reality is, Chateau will only allow the guests who are staying there... which I believe we maxed out somewhere between 35-40.

Chateau is at: http://www.cicconevineyards.com/pictures.htm

chateauchantal.com/host_an_event/weddings.htm

Several of the pictures from the wedding at Cicone are at:

(The inside shot of the barn, done in blue is one of them)

www.cicconevineyards.com/special_events.htm

cicconevineyards.com/Pictures/DSC_0398-1.JPG

cicconevineyards.com/Pictures/DSC_0050.JPG

cicconevineyards.com/Pictures/DSC_0328-1.JPG

cicconevineyards.com/Pictures/manke-montei1.…

The second wedding:

cicconevineyards.com/Pictures/IMG_1960.JPG

cicconevineyards.com/Pictures/IMG_1831.JPG

Both of the weddings at Ciccone's was beautiful... and I can get you more pictures from either of the weddings if you would like (I was the MoH for a cousin who is more like a sister...). Ciccone's were FABULOUS to work with! We loved the wedding planner, they were incredibly gracious... and EVERYONE loved it! IT was breathtaking, and the photos were fabulous!

Now, because the bride loved the wedding at Chateau, that's were we ended up staying... However, I'm not as impressed with Chateau as the venue size is small, and the cost of the rooms was kind of pricy. (to fit everyone in, we ended up having to have 2 couples in each room, so one couple spent the weekend sleeping on a sleeper sofa were kind of steep) That said, there were very helpful, we loved our meals, really enjoyed the Thursday night wine-fest, it was the perfect location for the rehearsal dinner, and the wedding party really enjoyed the fact that we had access to the wine-tasting room after hours.

However, instead of staying at Chateau, I would stay in Leland (10-15 minutes from Ciccone's as opposed to the 40 taht we had) or at Blackstar Farms (about a 5 minute drive from Ciccone's). We considered doing a Blackstar Farm's wedding, but the weekend the bride wanted was booked... and it is really a farm.. so it depends on the feel you want. We had the same issue with the Grand Traverse (which has an outdoor location option on the Bay side).

Now, because of the fact that we've had 5 up-north weddings in our family over the past 4 years... I've really been able to familarize myself with the area, and the options.

We've been at : Chateau Chantel, Ciccone's, a small camp in Elk Rapids, The Top of Crystal Mountain, Garland Resort (on the opposite side of the state),

MY choices: The Homestead, (the bride was concerned it was too far of a drive, I disagreed with her), a Ciccone's Wedding with hotels in Leland (There is an adorable B & B for the morning after brunch and rehearsal dinner), or the Grand Traverse.

Also, if you are looking for something a little different, and your group is small, there is a tall ship that leaves from TC that will do weddings onboard. I had a friend who attended one that said it fit the B & G perfectly, and they loved it. O

Or, if you want an "up north feeling", but not the water or winery... GARLAND by far!

And actually... the latest cousin to get engaged is considering either GT or The Sandpiper Inn in Union Pier. I'm not sure if she is looking for a different feeling or just doesn't want to get married at the same place as someone else! =)

Heather

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Great post Heather! I am sure the OP will find it very helpful! Moms

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Great info Heather – I was going to recommend Garland as well.

This past summer my niece was married at The Inn at Bay Harbor. It was overlooking the water and it was absolutely beautiful. Her rehearsal dinner was under a tent overlooking the water as well.

www.innatbayharbor.com

priceA2
Level Contributor
24 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Thank you so much everyone! We will definitely check all those places out. I have never heard of some of them, so it is refreshing to have new ideas! Wedding planning is turning out to be a little overwhelming for me. So the help is greatly appreciated!!!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

First off, congratulations on your engagement! There's been a lot of good suggestions so far...I'd like to add a couple, but I have to first make a disclaimer...My wife is an employee of Stafford's Hospitality so keep that in mind as you read the following:

I grew up here in Northern Michigan and have been a big fan of Stafford's properties since long before I had any connection to an employee. With that said, I know numerous couples who've been married at Stafford's Perry Hotel and Stafford's Bay View Inn including my wife and I (at the BVI) and my sister and her hubby (at the PH). Both are in Petoskey, have great views of Little Traverse Bay and are top notch sites for a destination wedding. Both properties are historic and beautiful, I think the Perry's the more popular of the two, but we chose the BVI because we were able to rent the entire property so we had the place to ourselves. You can't go wrong either way, every wedding I've been to at the Perry has been awesome and I personally prefer that location (right downtown) over the BVI. I know Staffords is almost always picked by The Knot as one of their best wedding destinations, they definitely know weddings and they do a great job...see the website for lots of wedding photos: www.staffords.com/weddings

If you're looking for something a bit less formal, you might take a look at The Headlands in Northern Emmet County...a 550 acre woodland parcel with more than two miles of undeveloped Lake Michigan shoreline...very secluded with tons of wildlife, nature trails, etc. There are two facilities for public rental, I've been to one wedding there and it was very cool, but much smaller and less formal than say a Staffords or Bay Harbor or Winery wedding. Obvioulsy there's no food/beverage service so you'll have to have a caterer or supply your own food/bar. You'd also have to consider a tent here as there isn't sufficient indoor area in case of four weather, but there's a cool patio for the tent. Very cool park though, and several wedding options, check out the website: http://www.emmetcounty.org/headlands-45/

I was just at a wedding out at Camp Daggett on Walloon Lake, which was awesome, but the reception was offsite at the Petoskey fairgrounds (which was also awesome, very nice building and site). I know you can have the reception at Daggett, but the property is alcohol free. They do have a beautiful new lodge that will easily accommodate a good sized wedding. www.campdaggett.com

Along those same lines, I was at a wedding a few years ago at Camp Al-Gon-Quain on Burt Lake...same kind of thing as Daggett and Headlands with needing a caterer or whatever, but a really nice wedding spot on the lake. Al-Gon-Quain's a bit more rustic than either of the other options, but it is really cool for a wedding. The wedding I was at was beautiful during the day and rained at night...there's a really cool old rec hall that was great for the reception portion. Here's the website, but you'll likely have to use the "contact us" tab for info on renting out the facility, I don't think it's something they do all the time but I know it can be done. annarborymca.org/programs/camp-al-gon-quian/…

There's a few more options for you anyway, congrats again!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Wow, the OP has lots of cool places to pick from. Thanks to L and DHC for great suggestions. :) I am sure you have provided more than enough info of the OP. Isn't TA great in that regard?

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Hey there...I am also in the early planning stages with my wedding. Have you tried "www.homeaway.com"? They have many houses on Lake Michigan that fit what your looking for.

Here is one of my personal favorites, though not on Lake Michigan, is quite spectacular in regards to accommodations and ammenities.

homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p298579#section…

Good Luck!!

Lu

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Wow, that must be some place (roll eyes) You must've had a great experience there to prompt you to come here on T.A. and make one contribution...ever...and it just so happens to be a glowing recommendation for a private rental. I'll be sure to book that one right away.

Bellaire, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Ceremony/Reception sites in Northern Michigan

Hello:

If you have not already chosen a location, please consider the Blue Pelican in Central Lake, Mi. www.thebluepelican.com We have a beautiful Pelican Room that can accommodate up to 200 people. Outdoor set up can be arranged as well. We are located about 25 minutes from Traverse City, in Northern Michigan. Thank you for your consideration!