We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinaw?? Island

michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mackinaw?? Island

I'm sorry, but it is so sad to see people from Michigan, spell Mackinac Island with a "w". It's "Mackinaw City, and Mackinac Island.

Having lived on Mackinac Island, the "w" spelling seems to bug me.....sorry.:-)

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinaw?? Island

It's not how you spell it , it's how you pronounce it!!! Like Sharlavoy (Charlevoix). Sorry I'm German decent not French!!!!

michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinaw?? Island

hmmmm.........how would you feel if people spelled your name wrong all the time? lol

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinaw?? Island

People do spell my name wrong all the time. You get used to it.

What is so sad about it anyway? I can see it being a pet peeve, but it's not truly a big deal - just an annoyance. I'm quite certain that you can't spell the name of every city and town in Michigan without a mistake, so why is Mackinaw/Mackinac so different that no one should be allowed to mis-spell it?

michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinaw?? Island

Its not a big deal...I'm over it! lol

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackinaw?? Island

I do have a question, are they pronounced the same? Because I have always pronounced them the same.

Gaylord, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mackinaw?? Island

They are pronounced the same. Here's a way to remember, though: Below the bridge, it's spelled with a "w" at the end. Anything above the bridge, including the bridge and island, it's spelled with a "c."