We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Chicago
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Looking for a 3-4 day higher end escape to Michigan. South Haven, Saugatuck or the like. Not farther than 3 hrs or so from Chicago. 4-5 if its really worth it.

Never did the couples B&B thing here, so I need some recommendations. A luxury hotel with a pool on a cliff over a beach would be nice, but I don't think it exists. Luxury Cottages?

Looking for:

Nice clean, larger room, whirlpool a plus

Nice location, grounds

Peace and quiet. Scenery, seclusion a plus

Close to a nice beach.

At least one great place to eat a plus

Don't care too much about:

Fancy Bedspreads

Social scene

Chatting over breakfast

"Town" or antique shops

Lots of kids

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Hope you're still looking for a place to stay in SW Michigan. We have a cottage in Lakeside, and stayed at several B&Bs in the area while we looked for a place to buy. By far, the best in "Harbor Country" is the Sandpiper Inn. It is on Lake Michigan; two rooms (Vienna and Barrington) have a 2-person whirlpool; these rooms come with a fireplace - not much good in the summer, but in the fall and winter, it's a nice romantic touch. The breakfasts are great, and there is a top flight seafood restaurant within a 3-min drive or 10-min walk. It's called Timothy's. My wife and I eat there about once every other month.

Second choice would be the Inn at Union Pier. It is about 1-block from the beach; excellent breakfasts; also close to Timothy's. The room with the whirlpool is the Garden View. It's not quite as nice as Sandpiper, but it also has a fireplace, as well as a kitchen.

NOTE: These places are not kid-friendly -- especially Sandpiper.

Casual places to eat in the area are: Red Arrow Roadhouse; Horsefeathers; and Gulistan Cafe (Turkish food).

Here are some urls:

Sandpiper: http://www.sandpiperinn.net/

Inn at Union Pier: http://www.innatunionpier.com/index.html

Local Area: http://www.harborcountry.com/

Write to me if you need more info: jmasl@rcn.com

Regards, Jim M.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

After I get myself up off the floor from laughing so hard at those preposterous plants from the guy who owns those other two Inns (Victoria Resort and Inn at The Park, I checked their websites and, sure enough....)), I can answer this simply.

Go to the TripAdvisor review pages and see what everyone has been saying for years about all the inns on the SW shore, from Saugatuck southward to South Haven and even more southward to New Buffalo. Your answers are there.

But please, let's try to keep these forum pages from owner advertisements. And from questions with totally obvious answers, I must say.

Whatever you do, have dinner at The Everyday People Cafe in Douglas. The best eats in all of SW MI.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

WCG, come on! I live here. Victoria Resort is an old building but nice. Inn at the Park is new but on a busy street. I told you where I would stay. EDPC is excellent but put Tosi's, Hawkshead, Chaps, Blue Moon, Marro's, Toulousse, and Clearbrook on that list of restaurants.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

I was speaking of Mody's double post. Ridiculous, obvious self-promo.

Tell us more about South Haven. I love it there.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Ask away. I was born here and lived here all my life as were four generations before me.

northville, michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

hi!!

Awesome idea!!!--we just got back from south Haven-stayed at teh Old Harbor Inn--beautiful!! walk tom the beach, cute town, idler boat is on the water behind the hotel, 15 min to Saugatuck--have to got to Silver lake too!! Only 90 miles away--go take a Mac Woods Dune buggy ride (40 MIn) so fun!! and then go to the beach for the day where the Lighthouse is..be sure to bring a cooler with drinks, etc. the BEST beach ever!!

northville, michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Dont forgrt to go have lunch/dinner st the Butler in Saugatuck--great place and view of all the boats in the Harbor.

I flet like I was in Plam Beach,Florida in Saugatuck!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Beledere in Sautatuck has most of what you want. But not on water. Very nice grounds, romantic.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Check out the Park House Inn B&B at this web address.

www.parkhouseinn.com

They have new owners that are wonderful in the past year and they have done even more improvements so it is even nicer than the photos. Call the ladies and they can help you out. It is in Saugatuck.

Grand Rapids...
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Help! Anniversary getaway reco for SW Mich shore?

Well if your still looking for a place to stay, try the Shoreline Inn, Muskegon. I think you'll find they have everything your intrested in finding. www.shorelineinn.com

They have this deal going on where you get a very spacious room, whirlpool and fireplace in the room, bottle of champane, a $50.00 gift certificate to a nice restruant called Rafferty's and a great view of Lake Muskegon, all for $199.00 a night!

It is close to serveral beaches in Muskegon, Spring Lake and Grand Haven. I would have to say that the Sardine Room is a really great place to eat, romantic and has wonderful martini's!