We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

I'm goin to the detroit area for a few days in a couple of weeks and would like to know how far away the best beaches are from there. Are there any worth going to within a 2 hour driving distance? I don't like the touristy stuff either... so if there's a place that's more quiet, that'd be better too. Thanks in advance!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

I would say that the best beaches are along Lake Michigan which would be around a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from the Detroit area. We usually camp at Muskegon State Park that has a beautiful beach and has never been over crowded.

I know you said you're not into touristy stuff, but there are quaint towns along Lake Michigan such as Saugatuck, South Haven and Grand Haven. It's been a few years so I can't remember which beach accesses we used in our travels through these towns. If you're into wineries and are out that way go to Fenn Valley Winery in Fennville, MI.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

There are some small beaches in the Detroit suburbs. Most are operated by the Huron-Clinton Metroparks. Metropolitan Beach is on Lake St. Clair, the rest are inland lakes. Two of the biggest parks are Kensington in the NW suburbs and Stony Creek about 30 mins north of Detroit. They also have hiking and bike trails, golf and other activities. Check their page at metroparks.com It costs $4 to take a car into any of the parks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

With all due respect to another response, no comparison of Detroit area beaches to West Michgian Beaches. Muskegon only area in state to recieve national awards for cleanliness. Great sunset, fine sand, and lots of room to spread out.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

Agreed, there is no comparison between the Metroparks and the Lake Michigan resort towns, but most of the Lake Michigan places push the two-hour limit. However, if he wants a quick escape from the city for one afternoon, they're not bad.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

thanks for the info, it is appreciated

Taylor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

I would also try North of Port Huron...Lakeport state park, and lexington have great beaches on Lake huron

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

Lake Michigan is awesome but too far away from Detroit to keep it enjoyable. Meanwhile, Sterling State Park, near Monroe, Mi. has a lovely beach. That is within 60 minutes I'm guessing. It is a state park. It is nice. It is touristy I suppose LOL. There will be a charge, but not unreasonable. There are some nice places along Lake St. Claire, the St. Clare River and right up to Pt. Huron too. Algonac State Park (Algonac, Mi.) would be a place to check out. It is scenic for sure. It is located just N.E. of Detroit along the coast line.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

Lake Michigan is awesome but too far away from Detroit to keep it enjoyable. Meanwhile, Sterling State Park, near Monroe, Mi. has a lovely beach. That is within 60 minutes I'm guessing. It is a state park. It is nice. It is touristy I suppose LOL. There will be a charge, but not unreasonable. There are some nice places along Lake St. Claire, the St. Clare River and right up to Pt. Huron too. Algonac State Park (Algonac, Mi.) would be a place to check out. It is scenic for sure. It is located just N.E. of Detroit along the coast line.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

One other possibility could be in Ontario. I haven't been in several years, but Goderich, NE of Sarnia on Lake Huron has a large beach. The Pinery Provincal Park is nearby also.

Birmingham, MI
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beaches fairly close to detroit area

IF you want to stay close to Detroit- the beach on Belle Isle just put in new sand and palm trees ( yes, palm trees) - its really clean and the water is warm (78 degrees), plus Belle Isle is beautiful, but gets a little busy around 6pm with teenagers hanging out.

To get away - Port Austin at the tip of the thumb is about 2 hours away on Lake Huron.

a 2 1/2 hour drive west to Grand Haven, South Haven, or Saugatuck is worthwhile. South Haven is full of college kids, Grand Haven is the beach from American Pie, and Saugatuck is a resort, artist town - but quiet.

Too bad yo don't have the time to get up to the northwest Michigan with some of the most beautiful beaches in the country.