We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

ELR
Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

In July we are spending 1 week in Michigan. Our only plan so far is to travel from Port Huron to Frankenmuth. Need suggestions on what to see along the way including outdoor attractions(we have 2 teenage kids) and outlet shopping. Could also use advice on accomodation in the Birch Run area.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,482 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

You probably already know this but there is a huge outlet mall in Birch Run.

You might consider staying in Frankenmuth. It is perhaps a 20 minute drive to Birch Run from there. I would highly recomend Bavarian Inn Lodge. They have great pools and a huge video arcade for the kids.

As far as what to see between Port Huron and Frankenmuth there is not much as it is mostly farm country.

Once in the Birch Run area there is the Huckleberry Railroad. There is also the Chesaning Showboat. All these have websites for you to look at and make reservations if you are interested.

Enjoy your stay.

Detroit
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

Must go to the leelenaw penisula in northern michigan. It will be very populated in July but it is breath takeing.

Also, see if you can go to Pearce Stocking Drive and to the sand dunes on lake michigan.

Not much to see in Port Huron. Most of what is happening is in and around Traverses City. If you get a chance get up to Mackinaw Island.

Good Luck

ELR
Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

Thanks for the ideas BrightonBill and klangan. Greatly appreciated! We are looking forward to our holiday in Michigan.

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

Would recommend Great Lakes mall at Auburn Hills, there is a huge outdoorworld bass pro shop as well as the usual shops to suit all the family

Detroit area
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

If you are positive that you want to stay in the Birch Run/Frankenmuth area, I recommend the Baymount Inn in Bridgeport. My friends and I stayed there last year in May and paid $59/night. It is about 6 or 7 miles in between Birch Run and Frankenmuth and off 1-75. The area is really pretty easy to navigate on the whole. Obviously, you wouldn't be within walking distance of either place, but it prevents you from having to take one longer drive of about 13 or 14 miles between the places. It's up to you, we found it worked for us. I am sure you could get a rate of about $79 dollars in July next year. The place has an indoor pool and a light continental breakfast as well.

Pickering Ontario
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a first time Michigan holiday?

Hi:

I travel to Frankenmuth/Port Huron twice a year from Pickering, Ontario and I would recommend staying at the Fairfield Inn, the service is tops and staff are always helpful. They have a light breakfast that is including in your room rate. Check out Bronner's Christmas store in Frankenmuth. Also you are only about a 10 minute drive from the outlet mall. I hope this helps you

Judie