We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach towns north of boston

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
39 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
beach towns north of boston

Hubby and I planning to fly into Boston and then drive north....anyone recommend nice, quiet beach towns north of boston? Hubby really looking for the New England experience of light houses/lobster/etc......

I have been to Portland Maine and we probably wont go up that far.

Dont know where to start. Anyone have Favorites in Mass and NH or southern coast of Maine. Just clueless at this point.

Help? Ideas?

The point of trip is to relax......not particularly to have an agenda.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach towns north of boston

Newburyport and Plum Island.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: beach towns north of boston

Rockport would be my choice.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach towns north of boston

I like both of the above suggestions and will add Ipswich for consideration. Also, Rockport's neighbor, Gloucester, is another possibility. You could easily stay in one community and spend time in both (that's actually true of all the areas north of Boston--distances aren't great). Though both have beaches and rocky coastlines with lighthouses, I think of Gloucester more for the former and Rockport more for the latter.

You may want to post on the NH and Maine forums as well.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach towns north of boston

Yes, a number of North Shore towns have that beachy, New England feel. Gloucester has a number of beaches (Good Harbor is a very popular one but there are smaller ones too) and it is just a short drive to Rockport, where you will find one of the best lobster shacks, Roy Moore's on Bear Neck (NOT the restaurant, but the actual shack, which is further up Bear Neck and the only seating is on picnic tables overlooking the water in the back). Ipswich has Crane's Beach, which is a big beach that is hugely popular in the summer. Gloucester is more of a working town while Rockport is heavily touristed (but so charming!); but I love them both. Be sure to have a car so you can experience them all.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach towns north of boston

Ipswich was counted first for great beaches in MA in one survey that came out this summer.

Marblehead...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: beach towns north of boston

Rockport, Newburyport, Gloucester are all nice little seaside communities. Rockport would be my first choice if you are staying there, but the others are driveable. Ipswich is home to my favorite beach in the area, Crane's Beach, but I would not base yourself in Ipswich. It is a short drive from Rockport.

Also, Marblehead has a couple of nice beaches.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach towns north of boston

In Ipswich, you could consider staying at the Inn at Castle Hill on the Crane Estate and next to Crane Beach.

www.thetrustees.org/the-inn-at-castle-hill/

Just had another thought: the Wylie Inn at Endicott College in Beverly. It's a little removed from the traditional Cape Ann/North Shore resorts, but still gives you good access to the area, plus you have use of the College's private beach and beautiful views of the ocean and nearby Hospital Point Lighthouse.

http://www.wyliecenter.com/index.shtml

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach towns north of boston

When?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
39 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach towns north of boston

Wow........thanks for the input........deciding when now.......not in summer for sure......maybe end september.

10. Re: beach towns north of boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, June 22, 2013