We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel reservations necessary

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel reservations necessary

We will be spending a few days in New York and then want to spend a week touring Chesapeake Bay (but not Ocean City) with a possible day trip to Washington DC. This will be late July/early August. Is it necessary to prebook hotels during this time.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

I'm not sure what you mean by "touring the Chesapeake Bay" Will you have a car? If not, Baltimore is a great city with rail service from NY. Plenty of places to stay and things to do. The Eastern shore has many towns on the water, Easton, Cambridge, St. Michaels- you'd need a reservaation on the weekends if you want to stay close to the water. Another great destination is Annapolis, once again I'd recommend reservations on the weekend. If you have some specific places in mind, I'd be happy to mke reccomendations.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

Your more popular hotels with good location will require reservations. If this summer is any indication you will need to make the week end reservations early.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

Hi 0106

Yes we will have a hire car and would like to take our time driving and exploring, stopping as the fancy takes us. I am relieved to hear you don't think it necessary to pre-book as we don't know how far we would travel in a day - it depends what there is of interest. Having to pre-book weekends only would benefit us and whilst we would love to stay at the ocean it is not essential.

We thought we could go down the east side of the bay and I believe there is a bridge (?) down at the bottom which we could cross and then travel up the west side. We thought of stopping for a night in Annapolis on the return to enable us to visit Washington.

Would this be feasible?

Thank you both for your replies.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

There are two bridges that cross the bay .Thr Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is at the southern end at the mouth of the bay .The Chesapeake Bay Bridge connects the Baltimore/Washington ares to the upper Delmarva peninsula . The bridge/tunnel is beautiful and relaxing. There is a rest area in the center where you could park and enjoy the view. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is a main route for folks coming from Baltimore/Washington ares to the Delaware/Maryland beach resorts . I would avoid it on summer weekends.In planning your driving don't forget we drive on the wrong side of the road. Have a great vacation.

Central Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

For something unusual, out of the way, quiet....check out the Inn of Silent Music. A small B&B in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. They have a web site, definately worth a visit! As for DC, park at one of the suburban metro stations and take the train in. Driving/parking in DC is no fun even when you are familiar with it!

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

Hi Angela-

I don't want to overwhelm you with ideas but....here I go.

Day 1-If I was traveling from NY to tour the Chesapeake Bay I would drive through New Jersey to Cape May. From there I would take the ferry to Lewes, Delaware. If you'd like to spend a night at the beach I would recommend Rehobeth (my favorite but be aware it is gay friendly if that is an issue for you) or Bethany (families) or Dewey (singles). All the beaches are very busy in the summer but if this is your first night you could pre-book. I've read the other posts and I truly think that you will only need reservations here or on the weekends. You could continue south if you want to see the ponies and cross the bridge tunnel (other post) but that's not the way I would go.

Day 2/3-I would travel over to the eastern shore of the bay in MD. There are some beautiful, mostly noncommercial, small towns that I recommended on my first post. I particularly like the Blackwater Refuge near Cambridge; there's a very posh Hyatt but if you go into town or to Easton there are some great B&Bs. I'd recommending some time on the water; there are many charter boats available if you like to fish. St. Michaels is a good place for that. Another place that is a unique MD experience is Smith Island. You can only get there by boat, the main industry is crabbing and they make the best crab cakes; not much else to do but enjoy the scenery.

Day 4-I would cross the bay using the Chesapeake Bay bridge to spend some time in Annapolis, MD's capitol. Its has a great waterfront downtown with excellent food and shopping.

Day 5-I agree with the post that said "take the Metro" into Washington. You can try to find a hotel near one of the stations, they shouldn't be booked. Have you been to Washigton? You could spend a week there, be sure to preplan what you would like to see. I've taken many of my out of town friends, my favorites are the Smithsonian museums but decide what you like and don't try to fit too much into one day. It is truly better to spend quality time in one or two places as opposed to trying to fit everything into one trip.

Day 6- I recommend a stop in Baltimore on your return trip up 95 back to NY.

Day 7-Final stop before leaving MD could be HavredeGrace.

I have learned that traveling without a set itinary brings you some of the best experiences. By doing a little bit of research and keeping your options open, you will enjoy the bay. Remember, it will be very hot and humid that time of year. I'll keep checking your post; if you have any further questions or want specific recommendations for places you have decided to visit.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

Thank you everyone for your replies and information.

0106 - I have printed your suggested itinerary so that I can check it out on the map I have just received from Maryland tourism. We have something to work on and with now - there doesn't seem to be any travel books concerning Maryland here in the UK, so your itinerary is really very helpful.

However, I must first get the flights to New York sorted, they are rather high at the moment. When this is done then I can concentrate more on Chesapeake Bay. Thank you once again for your help and when I have things more in place I will post again.

Angela

Baltimore, MD
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

The Commodore Joshua Barney House Bed & Breakfast in Savage, MD is a delightful historic Bed & Breakfast on 7 gated acres . . .located between Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC and close to Annapolis. It's a great location for "day-tripping". Reservations are necessary.

9. Re: Hotel reservations necessary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, August 19, 2009