We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-August suggestions?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-August suggestions?

My wife and I are considering a mid-August vacation to Maine but I'm really not interested in traffic jams and extremely crowded attractions. We did Bar Harbor 2 years ago with a route 1 drive from Portland to Acadia.

Our idea of a great time involves beautiful scenery, local culture, a charming B&B, plus small interesting towns and villages. To avoid the summer tourist mayhem, we're considering a flight into Bangor instead of Portland and then heading north. Could anyone recommend a destination that would fit our criteria as listed above?

thanks,

Doug

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

Anywhere along the mid coast. Rockland, St. George, etc. Take the secondary roads and explore the small towns.

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

Well it sounds like you've already done the coastal Maine thing, and your looking for a different adventure. And if you're coming in August and want to avoid crowds, the coast isn't your best bet. There are alot of options for the "other" Maine.

You could fly into Bangor and head to the Moosehead Lake area -- very beautiful scenery, some nice little towns like Greenville and, a little further to the west, Jackman.

You could fly into Bangor and head up to Baxter State Park -- also very beautiful and a great destination if you want to do an outdoor type adventure (hiking, camping, etc). The climb to the top of Mt. Katahdin is probably the best day hike on the east coast.

But my suggestion, based upon your criteria, would be to fly into Portland and head to the mountains of western Maine and northern New Hampshire. The small, interesting towns and charming B&B's are are more plentiful here than they are on my previous two suggestions. I don't want to explicitly map out your entire route (do some exploring), but it should include Rt 302 on the way up, going by Sebago Lake and the towns of Naples, Bridgton, and Fryeburg. Then cross the border into New Hampshire and explore the White Mountain National Forest, including trips to Mt. Washington and the various small towns in this area. Then head back into Maine via Rt 2 and either head down Rt 26 throught towns like Bethel and Norway, OR, better yet (depending on your time constraints) due some sort of circular drive up around the Rangely, Carrabassett Valley, Farmington area, before heading back to Portland.

Do a tripadvisor search on some of the towns I mentioned, you should get a few good suggestions for lodging.

Have fun!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

Doug,

the suggestion from Mthibal, is a very good one. Fryeburg, Bethel and Jackson/North Conway NH are all quaint little towns with nice attractions that won't be overly crowded. If you are adventurous a day Canoe trip down the Saco river from Fryeburg would be very lovely. You could enjoy a nice meal and shopping in North Conway in the evening. There are lovely B&B's in Jackson NH like the Dana Place Inn and Eagle Mountain House. Glenn Ellis Falls in the White Mountain National Park is a great walk and never overly crowded as is a trip up Mount Washington on the Auto Road. Bethel always has nice ways to explore and a few nice B&B's as well. If you really want the Ocean, Camden and Rockport North of Portland are a lot quieter and less traficy than the Southern Maine Towns.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

I'm a big fan of Western Maine. Very few people realize that the White Montains extend into Maine. Loys of geat suggestions in the previous posts. North Conway NH can get trafficky. If you want to avoid that turn North on Rte 113 off of Rt1 302 in Fryburg. You'll travel through farmland, and tiny towns on your way to the mountauns, This is a beautiful trip through Evans Notch, very scenic, some b&bs on the way. Haven't stayed at any, I usually have my tent & backpack for this trip. Great little general store right befor the route takes a sharp rioght and heads into the White Mountain National Forest. Outstanding cheeseburgers, right here in the middle of the forest.

At the end of 113 take a right on Rte 2 and be in Bethel, Maine.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

If you fly into Bangor head for Downeat, Sunrise County. Check out the towns along Rte 1, head up to Lubec, Quoddy Light, Campobello Island. Less crowded than the mid-coast areas, more of real Maine.

You could make a very nice loop and see some beautiful inland areas as welll, lakes etc.

Calais Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

If you flew into Bangor and rented a car head east down route 9. locally known as the airline. This road has all been redone within the last ten years and is in excellent shape. Head to Calais which is right on the Canadian border and visit the new Heritage Center it is loaded with natural and historical information on the area and can give you plenty of ideas as of which way to head. Although few people realize it the "working" Maine coast is actually between Ellsworth and Calais. Not in the least crowded and plenty of small towns and village to explore. Enjoy your visit to Maine.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

Should you consider the excellent suggestion to head west into the White Mountains, please take a look at the Notchland Inn. A little ways beyond North Conway, and an close drive from there to the Mount Washington Hotel (which you've got to see to believe.) I can't recommend the Notchland enough for romanticism, hospitality, beautiful gardens, etc, etc. The innkeepers are a gay couple, if that matters to you.

www.notchland.com

mtwashington.com/hotelinformation/index.cfm

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

Doug

I highly recommend Greenville Maine, Pleasant Street Inn. Greenville is about 2 hours from Bangor maybe 3 if enjoy the ride and take in the northern maine beauty. Greenville is the home to Moosehead Lake, its what my wife calls Maines Lake Tahoe. Most certainly would recommend contacting the Pleasant Street Inn and inquiring information. I dont think you will disappointed, if you enjoy the outdoors then Moosehead lake is worth checking out.

Paul

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

I agree with shoemaker, Greenville area is beautiful and the drive from Bangor airport is scenic. I always fly into Bangor because of the smallness and friendliness of everyone. Downeast is one of my favorite areas, not a lot of people but beautiful driving. One place I have stayed is Cutler. The small towns and villages from Schoodic Peninsula to Eastport are some of the best.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid-August suggestions?

If you aren't totally burned on the coast, consider picking out a B&B in a more remote coastal town. Maybe somewhere Down East (east of Ellsworth) or a remote town at the tip of one of penninulas between Portland and Bar Harbor, like maybe Bailey Island or Port Clyde or Friendship or New Harbor.

You might be interested in a place with all-inclusive packages like Goose Cove Lodge in Deer Isle. Or, have you thought about a sporting camp, maybe something close to civilization like Migis Lodge on Sebago Lake, or The Birches on Mooshead Lake, see http://www.birches.com/ or pick a really remote camps smack in the middle of the Maine Woods like these http://www.libbycamps.com/ http://www.grantscamps.com/

If you are planning to go to Baxter, get your reservations now!