We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic

cw, I have been reading the MDIsander online every week to keep up with some news and goings-on. I was amazed that the eathquake from Sept. is still rattling parts of MDI. It must be puzzling to the residents there also. I hope everyone is staying calm and out of any harm. It seems Hulls Cove was last and that is away from the others. I hope everything settles down soon for all of you.

I enjoyed the picture of the man braving the waters at Sand Beach!!! I don't think his and the others dip was too long!!! Braver than I would ever be!!

I hope your weather is better than ours-we have been in "mud season" for the past month. The temps have been decent, but all this rain has made things a mess!! July seems such a long way off to get back to Maine!!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cwvoigt

The scientific speculation is that a fault may be developing under Frenchman Bay just east of MDI. The epicenter of the largest was due east of Schooner Head---that's the one that did the damage to the Champlain trails; the mid-Decmeber one was about due east of Compass Harbor/Sols Cliff; and as you note, the last one was east of Hull's Cove (a northward migration??).

The first ones generated a fair level of concern and interest. The police have noted a considerable decrease in the number of post-quake calls in the last couple of instances. Because we sit atop granite, the temblors (so far) consist of a sharp "bang" (no prelude) and a jolt. Our cat apparently can sense one coming---immediately before it hits---she does not enjoy it. If you are interested in the "box score," try:

That is the Weston Observatory site at Boston College; the data usually show up there before they appear on the USGS National Earthquake Center site.

We have had a couple of snows but nothing substantial or lasting. It's pretty much mud season here as well---lots of rain (including today). The local XC skiers are getting a bit testy.

We are heading to Portland later this week---if the weather cooperates, we'll take the Casco Bay mailboat run.

2. Re: cwvoigt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, August 25, 2009