We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monhegan Island

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monhegan Island

Hi Everyone, I have been reading a lot of posts about Maine and I am getting some great information.

My family and I will land tomorrow morning (8AM) at Manchester airport and then we will drive the up the coastal road with our destination being Bar Harbor. My Mom wants to stop off and take the ferry to Monhegan Island.I think she wants to stop at Port Clyde. Are there other places to stop and catch the ferry over there?

In Port Clyde we could take the Monhegan Boat line and see the puffins too, anyone do this?

Is it possible to do this and still make it to Bar Harbor within a reasonable time, maybe by evening? It looks beautiful but I just dont know how long to figure on being there.

Thanks

Elaine

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monhegan Island

Nope, not possible.

You land in MHT at 8:00am. The boat leaves Port Clyde at 10:30 (yes there is a 3:00 boat but since you are not spending the night, the last boat leaving Monhegan is at 4:30.) There is no way you can get to Port Clyde before 10:30.

There are other boats to Monhegan, one from New Harbor (leaves at 10:30) and one from Boothbay (leaves 9:30am) but you couldnt make those either.

Sorry.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Monhegan Island

thanks for honest answer!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monhegan Island

At least you are heading to Bar Harbor. Its beautiful up there and there is so much to see and do. No matter how long you stay you will leave happy but yet wanting to see more.

You can keep Monhegan/Camden area for your next visit.

Have a great trip.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monhegan Island

I fully agree with acadiafan. To me, Monhegan should be (and for me, is) a destination. Here on MDI, one can jump into a car anywhere on the island and in no more than about 20 minutes, be on the mainland. It's a totally different experience to watch that last boat of the day leave the Monhegan pier and know that you are there for the night.

According to the forecast, you ought to have decent weather for your visit here.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Monhegan Island

We are really looking forward to this trip! Thanks for the feedback.

6. Re: Monhegan Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 14, 2009