We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland in first week of April

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Portland in first week of April

I am thinking of surprising my husband with a trip to the Portland area for his birthday (which is mid March) around the first week of April. He loves the coast, loves dining out, breweries, wine, history and natural beauty. I thought it would be a good fit for us based on everything I've read about Portland and the fact that we've always wanted to go to Maine.

My main concern is the time of year in regards to the weather and availability of things to do. I know the schooner tours don't run until mid May and that Acadia National Park will be partially closed. We don't mind some rain and we don't mind cold temperatures at all.

So I guess I am looking for some feedback from locals....do you think this time of year would still make for a good trip and that most things will be open? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland in first week of April

Portland is not Bar Harbor. Portland is a year 'round city. Everything will be open. It won't be all that cold in April.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland in first week of April

Not disrespect to Bonniemaev, but "everything will be open" in Portland in early April, except the seasonal operations like some of the harbor cruises, some (or most) of the outdoor dining locations (Two Lights Lobster in Cape Elizabeth comes to mind), and, traditionally, Maine gets "the last measurable snowstorm of the winter" sometime in the first ten days of April.... That said, Portland is still a vibrant, fun place to visit -- lots of nightlife, great restaurants, walkable Old Port... great little city. Just be prepared for variable weather (layers of clothing with a windbreaker/rain-resistant outer layer work well). Best part of coming that time of year -- no crowds!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland in first week of April

Thank you MainerOn The Go.....I appreciate your feedback. You've reinforced what I was already thinking about Portland! I am aware, bonniemaev, that Portland is not Bar Harbor...I only mentioned Acadia National Park since I have heard how beautiful it is and obviously if someone is visiting Portland they may consider Bar Harbor as well. It seems as though Bar Harbor won't be a very good option in the first week of April.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland in first week of April

No, the first week of April is not the best time to see Acadia National Park. Besides, Bar Harbor is a three hour drive from Portland. I was thinking you only had a weekend. But if you have the whole week, then coming up to Acadia is feasible. Just be aware, the trees don't leaf out in Acadia until mid-May. Most of the B&Bs and restaurants don't start to open until early May. Some places don't open until June.

People often think it will be nice to come before the tourist season really gets underway. But what you'll find in early April is a lot of road work being done, lots of workman about in pick-up trucks doing Spring painting and repairs on businesses, and quite a bit of scurrying about getting rid of winter and readying things for Spring.

Others, though, will disagree. One can still hike in Acadia in April. The lack of leaf-cover makes the views even better. Part of the Loop Road is open for access to Sand Beach and Thunder Hole. There will be a few places open for lodging and for dining. If you did want to come up for an overnight, I can recommend Saltair for lodging and Side Street Café for dining, among a few others.

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland in first week of April

We have 3 beautiful seasons here, then we have spring. If I was going to choose a time, April wouldn't be it. That said Portland is a great city and a birthday trip can be fun anywhere. We may or may not have snow so have a variety of things to do in mind so you can take advantage of whatever situation arises.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland in first week of April

Well I really appreciate all the feedback! I know the weather won't be ideal but I thought Portland seemed like a fun city. I read that it is a "foodie town" and I was interested in the brewery tours, the foodie city walk and a winery excursion. I was also interested in the island with the old fort on it but I'm not sure if boats would be running out there this time of year??? I live about a 9 hour drive away and was looking for a place to take him without having to fly. Perhaps with a stop in Vermont somewhere. The frustrating thing is that it seems that nowhere I can drive to is a very good place to be in the first week of April lol....at least in Portland, we would get to be on the coast.....

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland in first week of April

That's kind of what I was thinking when I saw you were from Ontario. I can't imagine April is the most popular time to visit Ontario either.

But Portland us a great place for your interests and the weather isn't really that bad. My driveway will be a muddy mess, but not so bad in the city. Boat tours may not be running but the islands will be accessible, there will be plenty of good food, and for people who love the coast and the ocean, the season isn't all that important. Have fun.

8. Re: Portland in first week of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 24, 2015