We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
343 posts
416 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

We are traveling from W. PA to Acadia Nat'l Park in August. We are renting a pet friendly cottage on the island and will bring kayaks and plan on spending part of the day at the cottage since it is oceanfront and we hope to play in the tidal waters and explore the bays with our kayaks.

We are breaking up the travel in two days - we will be stopping & staying in Freeport on our 2nd night (Friday) and then checking in to our cottage on Saturday afternoon.

Is Freeport pet friendly? Is there a better place within an hour to stay? We do want to check out the LL Bean outlet - but, shopping is NOT a priority - just a good stopping point for us (distance travel wise). I did see some housekeeping cottages that were pet friendly for the night so accomodations are not our issue.

What about parks? I believe I read no pets in Acadia - I get that since it is a Nat'l park. What about some of the other state parks? What about the park in Camden? Or the Fort in Bucksport?

Any overall or specific pet advise would be welcomed!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

General Rules for pets in State Parks are covered at:

maine.gov/dacf/…pets.shtml

Whether or not "Freeport" is pet-friendly probably will depend on "where" in town you plan to go -- different businesses have different policies. Except for official service animals, I don't recall ever seeing a dog inside any of L.L. Bean's stores.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

Don't know about Freeport, but Boothbay Harbor prides itself on being one of the most pet-friendly communities on the coast of Maine -- see page 47 in the BBH Region Guide: issuu.com/bbhchamber/docs/final_bbhcc2013sin…

Also, the Chamber of Commerce has this list of pet-friendly accommodations: …boothbayharbor.com/list/category/pet-friend…

We have a really great (award-winning) pet outfitter in town: http://www.twosaltydogs.net/

And the Boothbay Region Land Trust has a special guide to "Preserves for Dogs" -- http://www.bbrlt.org/documents/dogguide.pdf

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

Pets are allowed in Acadia. They simply need to be on leash. Some of the more difficult hiking trails are definitely not appropriate for dogs. The rangers one year had to rescue an older dog with bad hips because it simply refused to continue on along the rocky path around Jordan Pond.

A place on the edge of Acadia where you can let your dog run off leash is at the south end of Little Long Pond, near Seal Harbor. The land there is owned by the Rockefeller family and, although they don't allow bicycles on the carriage road, they do allow dogs to frolic and play off-leash. Just make sure the dog does not scare the horses that are occasionally ridden by the Rockefellers.

Maine
Level Contributor
315 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

I'd consider Freeport pet-friendly. There are dog bowls outside most of the big stores, and certainly by the LL Bean outlet and main store. The LL Bean outlet is at one end of a small open-air mall, and every time I've been there I've seen people walking their dogs (on leash). There are also lots of places to walk your dog nearby. And there are some big dog-friendly parks in the adjacent towns, such as Pratt's Brook (on North Rd) and Royal River parks in Yarmouth or Twin Brook (on Tuttle Rd) in Cumberland. By big I mean 100+ acres of fields and forest.

5. Re: Traveling with a dog -pet friendly stops - places to avoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 08, 2015