We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Maine and mass????

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in Maine and mass????

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip for this coming April. We want to do 3 days in Maine and 3 days in Massachusetts. We are 18 so we won't be drinking. We want a quaint town with a lot to do. Shop, tour, massages, yummy food, and tourist attractions. Please help!! We aren't sure what towns are best for this kind of stuff. Thanks!! (:

The Maine Brew Bus
Distillery Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Portland Fire Engine Co
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Schooner Yacht Heron
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Maine and mass????

April in Maine is generally what the natives refer to as "Mud Season" -- the time between the end of Winter and the beginning of Spring when the winter snow is melting, spring rains are beginning, and lots of the area underfoot is still thawing from the winter frost.

Daytime high temperatures generally range from the mid-to-upper 40's to mid-to-upper 50's.... and we usually get a least one final snowstorm sometime in early April, followed by frequent Spring rains.... some of the statistics I've seen suggest your chance of some form of precipitation on any given day in April is about 50-50.

April is the time when most of the winter tourist attractions (ski areas, snowmobiling, etc) start winding down for the season, and summer attractions are still early in their preparations for the coming season. If you just want to walk the beaches and shoreline without the crowds of summer, don't mind having to dress for cooler temperatures, and aren't looking for outdoor dining, concerts etc, April may be a great time to come up. If you're looking for summer tourist attractions going full-bore, patio and other outside dining and drinking, lots of folks out-on-the-town evening after evening, etc., you're going to be too far ahead of the season....

Most of the smaller coastal towns have one or two local eating places that stay open year-round, have some year-round lodging available, some some local shops that operate through the winter....but many other restaurants, take-out stands, lobster pounds, motels and shops close in October and don't re-open until mid-to-late May.,, If that's till okay, check out places like Ogunquit, Boothbay Harbor or Bar Harbor....

Edited: 11:02 pm, August 22, 2013
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Maine and mass????

April is not really a very good month for "lots of tourist attractions" in Maine. I think your best bet would be forget about staying in a "quaint town" because those are exactly the towns where there will be very little to do in April, especially in the way of shopping or dining. I'd stay in Portland. It's a small city and the Old Port section might qualify as "quaint" with its cobblestone streets and small shops. You can see light houses, do day trips up to Freeport, home of the L.L. Bean flagship store, travel down to the beach towns of Ogunquit and Kennebunkport, take the mail boat tour of the islands of Casco Bay, and see a good bit of Maine in three days. You will definitely fine good dining and massage places in Portland in April.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Maine and mass????

I think the exception to the shut-down "quaint town" would be Damariscotta/Newcastle. Things are pretty much open year-round with the exception of the wharf-front restaurant (the name escapes me right now). Having said that, I think the advice to make Portland your destination is the right idea.

4. Re: Where to go in Maine and mass????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 25, 2014