We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Hi everyone!

I have no experience of Fall in New England, but based on my research, I had the uncomfortable feeling that I would be travelling the wrong way on this tour for the peak color. A link to the trip map is on tauck.com/tours/usa-tours/new-england-travel…

Trip Itinerary :

Oct 7 Arrive Boston

Oct 8 Boston...

Oct 9 Lexington & Concord, and on to Williamstown

Oct 10 Stockbridge & Lenox in the Berkshires

Oct 11 Bennington, Shelburne & Stowe, Vermont

Oct 12 The Green Mountains to the White Mountains

Oct 13 The view from Mount Washington

Oct 14 Portland, Maine

Oct 15 Boothbay & on to Bar Harbor

Oct 16 Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park

Oct 17 Ogunquit, the beautiful place by the sea

Oct 18 Journey home

I don't want to shell out a lot of money, just to see stick season, but am limited to travelling this period of time, so wonder if I should visit New England or book for another part of the country. I would love to experience the wonderful color palette of Fall , if this were a good time to visit, based on the above itinerary

Looking forward to your advice

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

There is never a "guarantee" as to the calendar dates for the "best" fall foliage at any particular location in New England. But if you look at recent history, all may not be lost....

Although the beginning of your trip in western Massachusetts may be a bit ahead of "peak" color, and your time in the White Mountains may be a bit "after peak", a look at the official foliage reports for 2012, 2011 and 2010 show that peak color along the southern Maine coastline (the last several days of your trip) match up well with the dates you'll be there.

Another key point most folks worried about scheduling tend to forget... while "peak" color is great, there is still good color in the week or so ahead of "peak" and, unless we get a major wind or very heavy rain storm, color tends to hang on for a week or so past "peak."

So, if this year's color is "on schedule" you should see good foliage toward the end of your trip; if it's earlier-than-usual, you could get good color in western Massachusetts; and if it's later-than-usual, you should see good color in the White Mountains....

I'd find other things to worry about....

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Very helpful, MainerOnTheGo! Just the answer I needed to give me some context. What are the most helpful websites for foliage forecasts in your opinion?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Typically, peak foliage color on Mount Desert Island (Bar Harbor, Acadia N.P., etc.) coincides with our Columbus Day weekend, which this year is 12-14 October. So, getting here on the 16th won't make a significant difference. Moreover, peak color, like beauty, largely is in the eye of the beholder: some consider the peak when the brilliant reds dominate, others when the oranges and yellows do. As Mainer noted, really good color lasts for a while---and sometimes here, with our ocean-moderated local climate, three weeks or more.

Try this site: http://www.mainefoliage.com

I'm pretty sure that this is the site for the data that Mainer cited.

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Thanks for the helpful information.

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Thanks, very helpful site.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

CW likes to give away all my secrets.... not really, just kidding.... but the site he gave you is the one I've used for years.... Data/observations come directly from Maine Forest Service (a divison of the Maine Department of Conservation) Forest Rangers who make their observations as they perform their other daily duties during foliage season. Most of them have been making observations for years and have a good sense of whether they're looking at 20-percent color change, 50-percent color change, etc. They're also good at estimating the percentage of "leaf drop" (leaves that are no longer on the trees)... together those two figures paint a pretty good picture (pun intended) of the foliage situation... The first report of each new season is typically issued somewhere around the middle of September, depending on how foliage color is developing for the year.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Last year we went the week before and after Columbus Day Weekend (this year the 14th). We didn't miss anything, there were always spots of color. Sometimes an individual tree is more impressive than a far away view of a mountain.

Enjoy your trip.

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

Great info.... will monitor this site..thanks

9. Re: Oct 7-Oct 18: Will it be past peak for fall foliage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 22, 2014