We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster Prices???

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster Prices???

Visiting coastal Maine the end of Aug 27-Sept 9. Wondering if anyone has an estimate of lobster prices during that time at the lobster pounds. I plan on eating lots and need to establish my Lobstah budget - lol:-)

:-) :-) :-)

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Maine
Level Contributor
871 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster Prices???

Hard to tell. We're paying $4.99 right now.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster Prices???

Prices go up and down throughout the season, depending on supply and demand and what the market will bear.... Also depends on whether you're talking about live lobster from a pound or co-op, live lobster from a seafood or grocery store, or cooked lobster at any of a number of possibilities.... Wouldn't use mid-June prices for an October trip -- too many things can happen between now and then... If you can wait until a week or two before you're coming you may get a more realistic, more meaningful estimate....

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster Prices???

Thanks for the replies. Would probably be eating at the lobster pounds. I know there has been a huge supply in previous years and wondered what this year's early yields were like. Yes I know things can happen between June and early Sept. We are looking forward to visiting Maine and hopefully making a dent in the lobster population. We will be staying in Booth bay Harbor, Belfast, Bar Harbor and Lubec and flying in and out of Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lubec
Lubec
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Walnut Creek...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster Prices???

We have spent the past 15 summers at Boothbay Harbor. Our rental is on Southport Is. Be sure to visit Robinson's Wharf restaurant and lobster pound. Great place. During the summer there is entertainment on the upper deck on Sunday afternoons.

For a fabulous lobster roll go to Trevett's. Ask any local and they will give you directions. That's the first place we stop on our way in to town and have a lobster roll. It is real "old Maine" style. Nothing fancy and right on the water. Very popular with the locals.

You will love your stay.

Francine from California

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster Prices???

This is the kind of info I was hoping to get - a little insider tip really help. We're not into fancy places or extensive wine lists. I just want good food at decent prices. Maine lobsters are one of my favs plus I look forward to everything blueberry.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster Prices???

Belfast -- go over to the east side of town (across the high bridge on US Rt 1) and watch for signs to your right for Young's Lobster Pound -- nothing fancy about the place, but a great location and ambiance for lobster as it was meant to be....

Bar Harbor -- take the ride over to Bernard (on "the quiet side" of the island") to Thurston's -- another local favorite for lobster

And on your way to Lubec, in the town of Machias, watch for a restaurant on your right as you start to leave the business district.... "Helen's" has been famous for their blueberry pie for decades..!! Doesn't matter what time of day it is, it's always the right time for blueberry pie at Helen's....

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lubec
Lubec
Machias
Machias
Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster Prices???

You will be visiting Maine at one of the very best times of the year. Personally my favorite. All the summer folks with school-age children have left to get the kids ready for school and the fall crowds have not yet arrived. The weather is typically spectacular!! You've picked a nice variety of towns up and down the coast, each with a different feel and flavor.

The lobster pounds are my favorite place to eat lobster (besides at my own house). Most are in gorgeous locations overlooking the water. All are not fancy, just plain, simple and yummy seafood. But you will often see people bringing table clothes, candles and stemware for their beverages. Also, many of the pounds are BYOB.

As far as pricing, also note there are different prices for soft shell and hard shell lobsters. You should try both varieties to see which you prefer. Both are good, just a matter of personal preference. But I don't think you can get soft shell Maine lobsters outside of Maine as they are fragile and don't travel well.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster Prices???

If you like everything blueberry, stop at Thomaston Grocery (about 45 mins before you hit Belfast) and get an "Amy's Pie". In fact you'd better call ahead and reserve one. Save a piece for me if you don't want your reservation to be mysteriously cancelled.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
So Cal
Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster Prices???

Wow, this is the exact post I was looking, thanks Dolores. I'm also planning to go over to Maine the day after Labor Day but I really don't know anything about where to go, where to stay etc. This post really helps.

I'll be flying in from Los Angeles, so is the Portland Airport better than Boston Logan? Boston is almost twice the cost but there are lots more flights available. Would appreciate anyone willing to weigh in for some advice. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Maine
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lobster Prices???

TravelmoreSoCal, Portland airport will be more convenient once you get here. Depends on where in Maine you plan on going just how much more convenient it will be. From Boston it will be about an hour to the Maine border and then another 45 minutes to Portland.

But if you get a nonstop from LAX to BOS, then the total time is probably a wash since you won't have connection time. Check rental car prices in both locations also to see if one is better than the other. Logan has more rental car taxes and fees than Portland I think. So it's up to you if you'd rather save money or have more flight choices.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts