We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

I am getting married in late June and taking a 5 day/4 night honeymoon. We don't want to drive more than about 3 hours from Boston so unfortunately Bar Harbor is out of the question. We would like to stay on or near the ocean and be able to do kayaking, whitewater rafting (possible day trip), moderate hiking, sightseeing and simply relaxing. Where do you recommend we stay? Any particular region and/or hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any good places to whitewater raft and preferred companies to go with would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Portland Paddle
Gear Rentals, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Lessons & Workshops, Kayaking & Canoeing
Rangeley Region Lake Cruises and Kayaking
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

The Boothbay Harbor area offers much of what you are looking for -- ocean front lodging, kayaking, moderate hiking on the Boothbay Region Land Trust's network of conservation lands, sightseeing including light houses, whale watch tours, etc..., and plenty of relaxing! Whitewater rafting on the Kennebec is only a bout a two hour drive away.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

Adam -- Welcome to the Maine Forum and congratulation on your wedding....

Harborfields and the other innkeepers in the Boothbay Harbor area do a great job of helping folks make their honeymoons special...

Another place many folks like for "special" get-aways is the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, ME.... It would be considerably closer (driving time-wise) to Boston and would allow you to enjoy the outstanding restaurants and ambiance of greater Portland. Hike the trails for the nearby Scarborough Marsh, stroll the brick and cobblestome sidewalks as you explore the shops and botiques of the restored Old Port District of Portland, take a Casco Bay Lines Ferry sunset cruise, walk the beachfront at the Inn, take the short ride to Freeport for an L,L, Bean Outdoor Discovery session (kayaking, fishing, shooting and other outdoor activities - check the L L Bean website for details.) Driving times from Portland to most of the whitewater rafting outfits on the Kennebec River will be about the same as from Boothbay Harbor (longer distance from Portland but better, faster roads most of the way).

Or, extend your driving radius by half an hour (to 3 1/2 hours) and consider the oceanside town of Camden, ME... great little harbor with lots of local half-day and day cruises -- including sunset cruises, fantastic restaurants in nearby Rockland, numerous hiking choices in Camden Hills State Park just north of town, Driving time to white water rafting is comparable to Portland or Boothbay Harbor.and multiple local companies offering sea kayaking opportunities.... Lots of local bed-and-breakfasts if that's your style....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

www.innbythesea.com

www.stageneck.com

www.blackpointinn.com

www.sunrisepoint.com

www.samoset.com

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

For something as special as a honeymoon, I would suggest the White Barn Inn in Kennebunk. Spa and restaurant there as well.

5. Re: Maine Honeymoon in June, but where should I stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 02, 2014