We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Vacation in Maine

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Summer Vacation in Maine

I'm looking for a condo rental on the beach in Maine for a week during the summer. Someplace centrally located so that we can drive to outlets, cultural sites, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Blue Hill, Maine
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

Perhaps these two sites would be helpful: www.belfastmaine.com/Lodging-amp-Rentals/ or http://www.belfastmaine.org/lodging/lodging. Also, I would suggest looking at Bayside where there are many lovely Victorian cottages.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

There are a couple of things you might want to keep in mind if you don't know much about Maine. If by "beach" you mind a long sandy strip adjacent to the ocean, then you will have to think only of that part of Maine which is south of Portland. North of Portland the shore gets rockier and rockier. The only sand beachs are pocket beaches of varying lengths.

There isn't really any place in Maine that is centrally located. It's a big state and the roads are often neither fast nor straight. If outlets are of primary concern, then again you'll want to stay in the south of Maine where Kittery and Freeport will give you lots of options.

Also the further north you get on the Maine coast, the less likely you are to find condo complexes.

Perhaps Ogunquit or Kennebunkport would work well for you.

Edited: 3:34 pm, January 21, 2013
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

thanks!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

Bonniemaev is right -- much as Ann S is in love with Belfast (see her previous posts), there is no real outlet shopping (beyond perhaps an off-price store or two here and there) within seventy-five miles, and, as best I can remember, a singular sand beach about 20 minutes away which is really more on a river than open coastline.

Belfast is a great little town, but not a great fit with the criteria you say you're looking for.... I'd look at York, Ogunquit or Kennebunkport as better fits.

Blue Hill, Maine
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

I only offered those two web sites as a resource. If she contacts those folks, they might be able to connect her with people who will have the answers she's looking for. As a genealogist, this method worked wonders for me. Big smile.

Edited: 3:43 pm, January 23, 2013
7. Re: Summer Vacation in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 25, 2014