We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 full days in Maine

colagirl1999
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
8 full days in Maine

I will be visiting Maine for 8 full days in the first part of August. I will be visiting with my mother who I would describe as having some mild physical disabilities but is able to walk and get around, just not strenuous activities like hiking.

I would like to stick to Coastal Maine, but am looking for ideas for day trips out of Portland and the Bar Harbor Area. I plan on sticking to 3 days in Portland and the other 5 in Bar Harbor/Acadia Area.

We also think a day trip to Augusta would be nice, would you do this as a day trip from Portland or would you recommend that when we leave Portland that we stop in Augusta on the way to Bar Harbor?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 full days in Maine

The Maine State Museum is a nice stop on your drive between Portland and Bar Harbor.

Two Lights Park/ Cape Elizabeth is a nice lunch and afternoon trip from Portland. Kennebunkport and the Sebago Lakes Region are also nice drives. From Bar Harbor, you might want to take a drive up and around the Moosehead Lake Region one day.

August is extremely crowded with tourists, your mother might enjoy a September visit more.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 full days in Maine

Augusta could easily be incorporated into your trip from Portland to Bar Harbor, but would mean you'd miss some of the mid-coast region of Rt 1 because of the need to get inland to Augusta. If you're starting and ending your trip in Portland, I'd suggest a stop in Augusta on your way from Portland to Bar Harbor, then sticking to US Rt 1 from Ellsworth to Brunswick on your way back to Portland from Bar Harbor.

Easiest way to include Augusta in your trip is to take I-295 from Portland to I-95 in Gardiner, then I-95 to Exit 108 in Augusta (or take I-95 all the way if you prefer). As you exit off I-95, keep right for US 202 East toward Augusta. At the fourth traffic light (with the Augusta State Armory on your left), turn right onto Capital Street....follow it around a left-hand turn, then straight ahead to the State Capital complex on your right.... Complex includes the State House (nice do-it-yourself tour with some stairs), the State Library (great if you're working on family genealogy), the State Archives and the Maine State Museum (better than average look at all aspects of Maine history and life. Plan on spending an hour or more here). After visiting the Capital Complex, take the short drive south on US 201 to the eclectic city of Hallowell (about three miles from the State House) -- great collection of shops and restaurants. Would recommend Slates or Liberal Cup (both on your right in the business district as you come south on 201) for lunch. After lunch, retrace your route to Augusta, continuing on beyond the State House to a traffic circle... second exit off the circle takes you to downtown Augusta,,,, at the traffic light (only one light downtown), take a right across a bridge and at the next light turn right into the parking lot for Augusta City Hall and historic Fort Western (colonial-era trading post and blockhouse, well worth a stop). Once you're ready to leave Augusta, fastest way to Bar Harbor is I-95 north to Bangor, I-395 to Brewer, US 1A to Ellsworth and Rt 3 to Bar Harbor. Travel times: Portland to Augusta -- just over an hour..... Augusta to Bar Harbor via Bangor -- about two and a half hours.

For day-trips from Bar Harbor -- add the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park to your list... great coastal scenery with far fewer visitors than the Bar Harbor section of the Park... great place to get out of the car and listen to the wind-in-the-trees and waves-on-the-rocks.

Edited: 12:13 am, January 18, 2013
Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
504 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 full days in Maine

If your time in Maine runs through the weekend of Aug 16-18, there is the Great Falls Balloon Festival in Lewiston/Auburn. A 30-40 minute drive from Portland.

4. Re: 8 full days in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 21, 2014