We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a New England trip August 2013

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a New England trip August 2013

My husband and I are planning a trip to New England in August 2013 and are hoping you wonderful people will be able to give us some pointers as to where the best places to visit are.

We have sorted flights to Boston and are thinking about taking a couple of days to drive up to Maine, staying there for a week - touring around and then driving back to Boston.

Have looked at so many different websites and brochures but would appreciate some first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

With a week to spend, I'd consider the following itinerary --

Depending on your arrival time in Boston -- spend the night there and head north the next morning, or head north as soon as you can get your rental and clear the airport --

Day 1 -- Boston to Portland ME, with en route visits to Nubble Lighthouse in York, Ogunquit village and Kennebunkport village. Overnight Portland.

Day 2 -- Portland to Bar Harbor with en route visits to L L Bean flagship store in Freeport (if that's of interest), then to Bar Harbor via I-295 and I-95 to Bangor, I-395 and US Rt 1A to Ellsworth and Rt 3 to Bar Harbor (just to get to Bar Harbor as quickly as possible),

Day 3 -- Touring Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island and Bar Harbor

Day 4 -- More local touring around Bar Harbor/Acadia -- maybe a whale-watch or seal cruise.

Day 5 -- Bar Harbor to Camden-Rockland with en route stops at Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory just south of Bucksport and Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park just north of Camden. Visit Camden Harbor, Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. Overnight in Camden or Rockland.

Day 6 -- Camden to Portland via Rt 1 with en route visits to downtown Damariscotta and/or Wiscasset. Into Portland in time to visit Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth and stroll the Old Port district. Overnight in Portland

Day 7 -- Easy drive down I-95 to Massachsuetts and Logan Airport for flight home. (Or if your flight is early morning, drive down the previous afternoon and stay somewhere near the airport for easy departure the next morning).

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

Thank you so much for your advice, it will certainly help us in our planning. I have found a cute little rental cottage on Harbor Lane, just off Bar Harbor Road so it looks like that might be the place to stay.

Could you advise whether you think it's possible to take in any of New Hampshire or Vermont within our 2 week time scale? We both drive and don't mind a bit of driving.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

You could probably add a section of New Hampshire to your itinerary by giving up some of the Maine stuff listed above.... adding Vermont would probably mean you wouldn't have time to also do Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park, a truly outstanding part of Maine's coast....

The issue is that east-west travel in Maine is difficult at best. The mountain ranges in New England run generally North-South and since constructing highways through or around them gets very expensive very quickly there are few good, quick, easy east-west routes.

To add New Hampshire to your above itinerary I'd probably say something like:

Day 1 -- Boston to Lincoln or North Conway or Jackson NH

Day 2 -- Loop tour of White Mountains including Kancamagus Highway (Rt 112) between Lincoln and Conway (in one direction or the other), Franconia Notch between Lincoln and Franconia (or Twin Mountain in one direction or the other) and Crawford Notch between Twin Mountain and Glen/Jackson..... Our person preference for lodging is either Jackson (very small New England village) or North Conway (more commercial center with multiple lodging and restaurant choices), but some folks like Lincoln (which seems more commercial than Jackson but with far fewer lodging and restaurant choices to us).

Day 3 -- New Hampshire to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park

Day 4 - Tour Bar Harbor/Acadia region

Day 5 - Tour Bar Harbor/Acadia in the morning....drive to Camden/Rockport in afternoon

Day 6 - Camden-Rockland to Portland (or Boston if you have an early flight the next day

Day 7 - Portland to Boston

This gives you less time to see and experience some of the places along the mid-coast and southern Maine coastal sections of Maine but would get you into the White Mountains for a day.... just a matter of what you want to see with the time you have....

If you were to try to add Vermont to this itinerary, I'd say start in Boston, come to Portland ME, then to White Mountains area of NH and on to Vermont from there before looping back to Boston. It could be done, but you'd only see the southern part of coastal Maine, which is the most populated, most developed, and doesn't include the rockbound coast Maine is famous for.... Again, all a matter of how you want to spend your time here....

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

Once again, thank you for your advice, it really helps. :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

My husband and I did the same trip in August 2010. We flew into Boston, spent the first night in Rockport on Cape Ann, meandered up the coast to Boothbay Harbor the second night, spent the next 3 nights in Bar Harbor, one night on the New Hampshire coast, and back to Boston to meet friends for the final night. We were planning to go to the White Mountains, but never made it because we decided to spend an extra day in Acadia. We did an awesome whale watch cruise (we saw many whales close up) from Bar Harbor and hiked quite a bit in Acadia.

Here's more of a trip report with lots of photos and information on places to stay in Rockport and Bar Harbor: …hubpages.com/_26b99yhn3ra12/hub/From-Cape-A…

Have fun!

Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

Thank you for the help. I am planning a three week trip in August, and this helps me a lot.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

Daratillot -- Welcome to the Maine Forum.... If you have any questions or want additional information for your trip to Maine, I'd strongly suggest you start a new thread of questions and answers rather than adding onto this one.... That's because anyone who might have looked at it in 2012 isn't likely to come back to it again in 2013 to add info or look for new questions. To start your own thread, just go to the top of this page and click on Maine Forum just above the original question. That will take you to a new page, where you can click on Ask a Question and start your own new thread.... Much less confusing for everyone...

8. Re: Planning a New England trip August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 23, 2014