We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary planning help needed please

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary planning help needed please

Coming from Prince Edward Island to Maine for a week. Will be staying in Bangor for 1st and last nites but can't decide what to do in between. Want to shop (a little), sightsee, relax.

Was considering this:

Day 1 - PEI to Bangor

Day 2 - Bangor to Freeport (via I95)

Day 3 - Freeport to Kittery (or a seaside town close to Kittery)

Day 4 - Kittery area along the coast (northward) to ???

Day 5 - ???

Day 6 - back to Bangor

Day 7 - Bangor to PEI

Should I go up to Bar Harbour or just stay along the coastal towns? What to do? Any suggestions very apprecited.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary planning help needed please

Quick logistical suggestion first -- Day 2 Bangor to Freeport.... you'll head south on I-95, but a few miles south of Augusta, you'll want to get onto (-295 to get to Freeport.... Staying on (-95 south of Gardiner will leave you with some cross-country driving to get over to Freeport; getting onto I-295 will take you directly to the Freeport exits....

Sounds like the real question is whether or not to do Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park. For anyone who doesn't see the ocean frequently, I'd say Bar Harbor would be a "must do" -- but if you see all the ocean you care to see on PEI you might or might not want to include it. Don't remember a lot of places on your island where the evergreen trees grown down to the tops of the ocean cliffs (a trademark of Acadia National Park and the mountains of Acadia are definitely higher than anything I've ever seen in your province.... So whether or not those features entice you is something only you can decide.... If you do want to include it, give yourself time to get down there, have at least one full day (and prefereably two days) there, and time to get back to Bangor (or wherever again).

With your proposed itinerary, I'd probably go PEI-Bangor, Bangor-Freeport, Freeport-Kittery or York/York Beach; Kittery-Portland; Portland-Camden, Camden-Bangor, Bangor-Home...

If you want to include Bar Harbor/Acadia, I'd propose PEI-Bangor, Bangor-Freeport, Freeport-Camden/Rockland, Camden-Bar Harbor, Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor and Acadia in the morning, afternoon drive to Bangor, Bangor-PEI.

Either one should make a good trip for you....

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary planning help needed please

This was very helpful info, thankyou. I had a vague notion that these were 2 good options but you have confirmed it. Now just to decide.

3. Re: Itinerary planning help needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 15, 2013