We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

Which Maine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
western ny
Level Contributor
193 posts
88 reviews
Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

Husband and I are planning a trip to Maine late July or August. We plan on flying into Boston for ease of a connection and then renting a car and driving up the Maine coast. We were thinking of staying somewhere in the Camden or Rockland area but are very open to anything as long as its not more than 4-5 hrs from Boston.

We are hoping to find an upscale b&b or small inn that is located on a working harbor. We really like being able to sit and watch all the boat activity from where we stay. Weadopt have to be on a beach or having a pool, we simply enjoy watching the water and the boats. Walking proximity to town is a plus.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

Not on the water, but two great B&B's in Rockland are the Berry Manor Inn or the Limerock Inn. I've stayed at both and really enjoyed them. Both are a short walk to the water. I don't think I've ever noticed a B&B right on the water in Camden or Rockland.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
144 reviews
2. Re: Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

First spot that comes to my mind in the mid-Coast (Rockland-Camden) area that might meet your criteria is the East Wind Inn in Tenant's Harbor, ME. Not much of a "town" to walk to, but a nice setting right on their small harbor...

You may have to make some trade-offs regarding being "on the harbor" vs. size of village and "walkability to downtown". Not as frequent a combination of the Maine coast as you might expect....

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

If you were willing to come just an hour or so north of Camden, you would have all of Bar Harbor to stroll in and all of Acadia National Park to drive or hike in. An upscale inn in Bar Harbor, right on the water, is Saltair. Not only can you watch the harbor boats but you can watch the tide come and go from our famous tidal bar over to Bar Island, just to the right of the sloping lawn that goes down to the water at Saltair. They only have six rooms, great breakfasts, and truly charming hosts in Kristi and Matt.

http://saltairinn.com/index.html

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

Another place that would be fun is Monhegan Island. Not much of a town there either. But it's a great ferry ride out to the island from either Port Clyde or Boothbay Harbor. The Island Inn is an old wooden hotel with rocking chairs on the wide front porch. You can watch the ferries come and go during the day and then have all the island to oneself when that last ferry leaves for the night. The night sky is gorgeous. The food is good at the inn. Hardly any shops or restaurants on the island. It's an artist colony in the summer and a lobstering village in the winter. No cars allowed on the island. Great rocky beaches and some trails.

They have the nicest web page I've ever come across. Great full screen pictures: http://islandinnmonhegan.com/

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

There is a group of upscale waterfront inns at various places on the Maine coast described on www.watersidehideaways.com. None are walking distance to towns, but all have nice views of harbors or the ocean.

6. Re: Help finding harbor front b&b or small inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, June 18, 2013