We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Maine

Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Visit to Maine

I will be visiting Maine with my wife from June 26-July 1, 2005. I will be staying in Bethel but want to see other places. Any suggestions as to where we should go? We love to hike, travel, eat local food and see the culture. How long a drive is it to Boothbay? Where else should we go. Thank you for your help, Mark

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Maine

Hi Mark,

We spent 2 weeks travelling New England in the fall last year. Maine was one of the best spots for us. If you love hiking Acadia National Park on Mt Desert Island is a must. We stayed at Bar Harbour for 2 nights and wish we had stayed a week. Th carraige trails there are somthing else. The local food and beer in the area is great also. If you like shopping the Factory outlets in Freeport are also worth a visit.

Betehl was a nice little place for walking and enjoying the great country hospitality. Also don't forget New Hampshire. We stayed at North Conway and had a ball also.

Cheers Greg

Perth West Oz.

Freeport, Maine
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Maine

A visit to Maine would not be complete without visiting the coast, in particular the rocky coast. Freeport is a great base location to explore the mid-coast. Home of LLBean, a short drive south to Portland Headlight, or north to Boothbay Harbor.

The Freeport Cafe is a little spot very popular with locals and tourist alike. They are known for their homestyle food - baked from scratch muffins, homemade soups, Yankee Potroast or Hot Turkey Dinners! Located just 3 miles south of LLBean and the village of Freeport.

You will be happy with any area of Maine you end up in. Maine has such diverse regions all with special personalities. If you end up in Freeport, check out LLBeans Discovery programs -

They are great! www.llbean.com/ods

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Maine

You will be pretty close to Camden/Rockport/Rockland... and you HAVE to go... we got married in the area and everyone who went fell in love with the area instantly... you can hike Mt Battie, and look over the Atlantic. There are a lot of cute shops in Camden. The Farnsworth Museum in Rockland. And the BEST restaurant in all of Maine... Primo. Check out their wesite, I think its www.primorestaurant.com. There are a couple of decent wineries, beautiful schooners, the walk out to the lighthouse... a little art school/studio... I could go on and on.... definitely do't miss the area!!!

portland maine
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Maine

Bethel is about 90 miles from Boothbay. It will take roughly 2 hours to drive the distance, but Route 1 can get rather congested in the summer season, so you may need to allow for more time. I would suggest starting in Portland, visiting the Old Port and Fort Williams, and then driving up Route 1 and stopping at all of the previously suggested spots. If you were to start out in Portland and take Route 1 all the way to Bar Harbor (Acadia National Park), it is about 170 miles (it takes about 3 hours to drive the distance) and it would give you the opportunity to spend a day or two in the towns that caught your interest. The rocky coast and the little New England towns along the way will make a wonderful and memorable trip for you.

Bethany, CT
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Maine

If you're traveling along Route 1, you really have to leave that route to see the coast at its best. Drive down to Pemaquid Point from Damariscotta- also a nice coastal village to visit. Pemaquid has a lighthouse where the surf and rocky coast can be spectacular. There is also a nice beach if you're hardy enough for the cold water. Follow Route 32 for lunch or dinner at Shaw's - typical casual dining while watching lobster boats and opportunities for some harbor criuses.

Make sure you see Camden, as another writer suggested. Don't be discouraged by the traffic Just get yourself to the harbor, park the car, and watch the boats coming and going. I love the Waterfront Restaurant. If you can sit outside, the boats come right by the deck. Losts of fun.

The Delorme Maine Atlas is a great way to get off the major roads. The atlas is available in supermarkets, pharmacies, etc. In fact, you can visit the Delorme building which is visable from Route 1, right outside of Freeport. We found it quite interesting.

Have fun!!

Cornish, ME
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Maine

Going to Boothbay is definately a great idea! I've been there many times and it is my favorite place ever. While your there you should go on one of Captain Fishes boat rides, they are great if you like to see light houses and get a tour of the harbor and see seals and lots of birds. There are also a lot of nice shops in boothbay. A really nice campground in boothbay is Shore Hills if you're thinking of staying there for a while. It's not far at all from the harbor and they have shuttle buses to get you there. Their are many things to do there also, like canoeing and clamming. Hope this helped a little. Jaime.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Maine

I would say a lot closer to 3 hours to get from Bethel to Boothbay Harbor

boise, idaho
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Maine

We are also staying in Bethel in June17th to 24th. We would like to know some of the places to see. I am thinking of coming a day early and maybe staying on the coast for that night and next day where would you stay. We are going to Quebec after the 24th for the World Police and Fire Games for a week and can you drive rental car into Canada?