We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine in early November?

No. Va
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Maine in early November?

My wife and I are looking to plan a weekend getaway with another couple the weekend of 11/6 and are considering Maine. We want a casual weekend with enough to do without killing ourselves with a tight tour schedule or spending a small fortune.

I've heard lots of great stuff about Bar Harbour in September, but will the alure still be there in November? How cold will it be then and will a lot of the businesses be closed for the winter by then? Doesn't the Loop close early in autumn?

Any tips would be great..... even if its an alternate destination.

Thanks..

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Katahdin Cruises and Moosehead Marine Museum
History Museums, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Special T Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Currier's Flying Service, Inc.
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Air Tours
Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine in early November?

November is a tough month to plan according to weather. Bar harbor will be nice and slow and not the vacation it would be in September. It' is always beautiful, but as you've noticed, some of the places will be closed. Sections of the park roads will be closed, depending on weather and staffing (budgets..).

I'd suggest making the Rt 1 trip. Ogunquit, portland, E.boothbay, wiscasset, dameriscota, etc. You can get alot of time just in portland but the trip will be a great time to make those places and you may be able to play it by ear and make reservations only a day or so ahead of time... Downtown,Portsmouth NH is also good! And the women will love the shopping in Kittery. Although I much prefer the shopping in Wrentham Mass.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine in early November?

Hmmmm. Can you afford to splurge a bit on lodging? If so, consider staying at the Black Point Inn in Prouts Neck, a suburb of Portland. Very high-end classic Maine shingled hotel right on the water. Great scenic walks around the hotel if it's not too cold, fireplaces inside to warm you up if it is.

Portland will have oodles of places to eat. Also, you can find plenty of places to do early Christmas shopping in Portland.

You can get out on the water on the Casco Bay Lines, whereas boat tours in other places (Boothbay, Camden, Bar Harbor, etc.) should be done for the season.

Also, you can bop up to Freeport for LLBean and outlet shopping.

Also, take in the Portland Head Light.

Acadia IS fabulous, but if you have only a weekend and in November, I'd wait and come back to Acadia when you have warmer weather and/or more time.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Casco Bay Lines
Casco Bay Lines
476 Reviews
Portland, ME
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,770 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine in early November?

We just returned from a Maine getaway. There was a lovely old fashioned inn on route 1-A that we saw as we travelled to Acadia Ntl. Park. It had a commanding view of the lake and I think it would be a comfortable place to stay. If you fly into Bangor it would be less than a half hour to drive to get there. There were construction crews on 1-A but we were there on a weekend and it really wasn't that bad. Acadia would be about an hour away- and that's mostly because of speed limits on the roads. Happy trails.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maine in early November?

I forgot to tell you the name= The name of the inn is The Inn at Lake Lucerne

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maine in early November?

My husband and I love this time of year in Maine - truly off season and no crowds. Bar Harbour stays fairly lively throughout the year, shops restaurants etc.

We stayed in Hancock at the Crocker House Inn. Lovely Inn in a quiet residential rea, and they have outstanding dinners, as well as the breakfasts. People travel from the region just for the dining room here.

We did a lot of exploring on the Schoodic Peninsula, as well as Acadia.

Also Camden stays busy year round. It's a good option as well.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Schoodic Peninsula
Schoodic Peninsula
313 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maine in early November?

I agree with most everyone else since I live here. Most of the shops in Bar Harbor are closed as well as the park roads. The first sign of snow and Acadia Park closes. I suggest the portland area as well in November. Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME