We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

indiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

were coming to portland in october and could use some advice as to finding cheap, fresh lobster and what to do- we have 1 week in early october

Portland, Maine
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

Most if not all restaurants in Portland will provide you with Fresh Lobster. I wouldn't consider any Lobster cheap and you have numerous choices in Portland. If you are looking to eat Lobster with a water view try Dimillo's floating restaurant on Commercial Street. If you are looking to drop some serious money while having an excellent dining experience consider Forse Street Restaurant in the Old Port.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

Street & Co on wharf street has a cool atmosphere and great seafood meals. But honestly.. anywhere.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

Street & Co and Fore Street (owned by the same people) are not the place to go for lobster. Fore Street is the so-called best restaurant in the city (read most expensive), but you can do so much better! A lot depends on your budget for dining. For in-town, a good place for lobster is DiMillo's on the waterfront. Very touristy, but very reliable. For an authentic coastal spot, head out to Cape Elizabeth to the Lobster Shack. (Just 15 minutes from intown.) http://lobstershack-twolights.com/index.htm

There are a couple places in Freeport (home of L.L.Bean) on the water, but like the Lobster Shack, they're seasonal, so be sure to check beforehand. http://www.hollyeats.com/Harraseeket.htm

Lobster isn't cheap just 'cause you're in Maine; it's very expensive even here. Just want you to avoid the sticker shock!

As to what to do; what do you like? Shop, golf, museums, wine? Who is traveling and what's your age group? Have you chosen where you're staying?

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

I agree with the earlier post. The Lobster Shack is the place to go to enjoy good food with a great view. Lobster should be eaten in an ocean setting or on a picnic table in your backyard. It just doesn't taste as good when you are at a regular restaurant!

I also like the Casco Bay cruises if the weather is good. If the weather isn't great and you are in the South Portland mall area, go to Sebago Brewing Co. or Vinny T.'s for lunch or dinner. Both offer good food and are in the same parking lot as the Mall. If you like chain restuarants, there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an On The Border Restaurant there, too.

You can also go to the Portland Museum of Art (small but pleasant). Having a drink at the Top of The East (Eastland Hotel) is nice at sunset. You could get an italian sandwich at DiPietrio's Market or Amato's Sandwich Shop and have a picnic on the Promenade (your hotel can tell you how to get there). I don't know what they call italian sandwiches in Indiana but they are your choice of meat (or meatless), cheese and fresh vegetables in a long sub type roll. The roll is very important. It shouldn't be too thick and it should be fresh and soft. You typically have vegetable oil, salt and pepper on top, your choice. You could also bring the picnic lunch onto the Mail Run of the Casco Bay Lines (3 hour tour).

Hope you have a great trip.

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best, cheapest, freshest lobster/seafood in portland- in...

Me again. After reading my review, I don't think I was very clear when I made the switch from where to eat lobster to what to do for fun.

To clarify: Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth for Lobster (call ahead to be sure that they are still open for the season) I think their website said they were open until mid-October.

For fun: go on a Casco Bay Cruise in good weather. In bad weather if you like to shop you can go to the South Portland Mall. It is there you will find Sebago Brewing Co., etc. I listed those for good places to eat in the area. Sandwiches, regular meals, Italian fare, I was not recommending these places for a lobster dinner. For other shopping go to Freeport to LL Bean and the discount outlets.

The other items were probably pretty clear as "things to do".

Sorry for any confusion.

Other possibilities: walk around the Old Port in the day or go there at night for nightclub activity, go to The Comedy Club, there may be plays scheduled in Portland or South Portland while you're here. I really like the beach so I'd go check out a few different beaches for a walk. You should stop at a visitor's center for listings of fairs, festivals, etc. If the leaves have started turning go for a ride, head West, perhaps to Bethel. Ask your hotel. There really is lots to do if you look.