We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on where I can take my dog.

Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Need advice on where I can take my dog.

I'm female and will be staying in the Rockland area on my own for a week in mid-June. I'll have my dog with me, as my companion (and protector) and hope that since it'll still be off-season I'll be able to take him along with me wherever I go. Just how much can I count on doing that? Also, what nightlife is there in the Rockland/Camden area where a single female can feel reasonably comfortable and safe?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on where I can take my dog.

There are travel books specifically about traveling with dogs and they tend to be very detailed with great suggestions. See amazon.com/exec/…104-4863825-9172722

Mainers as a whole are incredibly pro-dog. (If it's a lab, even moreso!) That being said, Rockland in mid-June should be plenty busy, sidewalks should be crowded and your dog will need to be well-behaved to respect the rights of others. And, there will definitely be places you will want to go that have "service dogs only" policies, e.g., The Farnsworth Museum, many stores and restaurants..

More about laws: Maine has statewide laws against dogs-at-large; he/she should be a leash at all times. Most towns will have a law about scooping poop. It should go without being said not to tie him up at the doors of stores and cafes when you go inside, but there are folks who do this! Also, be aware that it is illegal in Rockland to leave a pet inside a vehicle on a sunny day. And there is a statewide ban against transporting dogs in the back of pick-up trucks.

Places to go: walk around the harbor downtown or walk onto a ferry to North Haven or Vinalhaven and spend the day there on foot. Also, drive up to Camden Hills State park and hike there.

The entire state is exceedingly safe, even at night. If the primary reason for bringing your dog is for protection, you might rather leave him at home. You can go all sorts of places alone without feeling the least bit afraid, and I think you'll find yourself more hampered by places you can't take your dog.

Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on where I can take my dog.

Thanks Michele, appreciate all the good information! My dog's a Golden Retriever so I'd be taking him along with me as company, not so much as protection. But I can see he'd definitely limit my activities and he certainly wouldn't be very happy about being left behind at the cottage when I venture out for the day! I guess I should put some thought into leaving him at home.

Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on where I can take my dog.

Ooops! I'm new at posting on this site...not sure how my email address ID became my ID here....should have been "luv2travel22".

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on where I can take my dog.

You will see dogs out as many people in Maine take their dogs everywhere. They are our children, aren't they???

I have a big sheltie (45 pounds) who does not stand meekly at my side. I will pop him into the car if I have a hike planned, but I would never take him to do generally touristy stuff because he might snatch an ice cream cone out of a toddler's hand.

If you bring your dog with you I think you have to commit to doing only dog-friendly activities like hiking. Shopping, eating out, etc., might be problematic. You would definitely have more options if you didn't have a dog along.

I don't know specifically about the beaches in the Rockland area, but it's very common in Maine to see "no dogs" signs on a beach in the summer, or at least very restrictive hours when you can bring dogs (like only very early in the am or very late in the evening.)

There is really no reason for you to be afraid to be alone. Maine has one of the safest states in the US. …mainetoday.com/news/state/050513crime.shtml